How to re-install mail.app?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac 2.8GHz Dualcore 24'' / 2GB SDRAM / Snow Leopard 10.6.1 / external HD LaCie 500Gb
:confused:
I deleted the original mail.app to put entourage instead. But now I want to put mail.app back!

With the system 9, we only have to put the boot cd, indicate wich software we wanted to install and press install. Now in osx it seems that I have to re-install everything.. Is there a way to only re-install a specific sofware like mail.app ????

B.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
There maybe depending on how your system was built. What version of Mac OS X are you running?

C

Chamorro

There are utilities you can download to do this, but I don't have the name or URL w/ me. I'll look in to it later.

In the meantime, try searching the forums under "package install"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
the program is called pacifist

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, so he goes out and get the application pacifist from versiontracker or macupdate. What does he do next and which media does he need?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Depends.....If he is using a restore cd there is only 1 disc....you put the disc in and go to pacifist....look through all of the folders and packages and one of them will be mail.app or something of the sort

If he has the 3 panther discs you will have to look through all 3....i am pretty sure its on 1 or 2 but havent done it in a while

when you find the package just double click and go through the install

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So if I am understang this right. Pacifist can read a restore media or an install media.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep....It can view all of the individual packages on the disc so you can install a program by itself

OP
bellastrada
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac 2.8GHz Dualcore 24'' / 2GB SDRAM / Snow Leopard 10.6.1 / external HD LaCie 500Gb
Thanks for the advices but I read that about «Pacifist» in the versiontracker comment section :

««by: **Charlessoft** Version: 1.6.3, 3/31/2004 01:27PM PST

Thulsa, have you tried downloading Pacifist and using it? Try opening Essentials.pkg with Show Package Contents and see if you can get just, say, the Mail application out. You can't as all the files are in a .pax.gz file, not just lying around in the package file. Opening it with Pacifist makes it easy to get the files you want out of the packages.
BTW, Pacifist is not by the University of Berkeley. Pacifist uses a small bit of code from the source of the 'cksum' tool to get the checksum of a file when you use the "Verify" feature. I did this to avoid having to launch the 'cksum' tool many times, slowing down the process. The code for cksum is part of the BSD software distribution, which obligates me to give Berkeley credit in the documentation, since I use some of their code. And if you object to using anything that uses code from BSD, well, the core of Mac OS X is built upon quite a bit of BSD code. ;-)»»

Conclusion IS IT WORKING OR NOT!!!
B.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think that is referring to actually taking the install files off of the CD
I have reinstalled iChat with pacifist with no troubles
Just browse through the CD and find the mail install file and double click to open it

OP
bellastrada
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
:D :D :D
Everythings working now!
Thanks a lot guys!!!!!!!
B.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.