iTunes folder sync

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP 2.6Ghz intel core 2 duo, 4Gb, NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 256MB
I have a mac and a PC on a small network and I have iTunes on both machines. Is there any good way to sync the Itunes folders between the two machines so I dont have to use the iTunes method of burning the library onto a million DVD's just to update my other machine?

Ive been looking around on google for awhile and I havent really found a solution. It would be alittle easier if I could just copy what ive purchased out of the iTunes library and transfer it to a portable hard drive, and then over to my PC. But since the external hard drive is NFTS formatted, my mac cant write to it. I tried to get MacFuse working but it didnt work for some reason?

So if anyone could give me some ideas I would really apprecite it!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have a mac and a PC on a small network and I have iTunes on both machines. Is there any good way to sync the Itunes folders between the two machines so I dont have to use the iTunes method of burning the library onto a million DVD's just to update my other machine?

Ive been looking around on google for awhile and I havent really found a solution. It would be alittle easier if I could just copy what ive purchased out of the iTunes library and transfer it to a portable hard drive, and then over to my PC. But since the external hard drive is NFTS formatted, my mac cant write to it. I tried to get MacFuse working but it didnt work for some reason?

So if anyone could give me some ideas I would really apprecite it!

Format your external drive with FAT32 on the Mac (in Disk Utility, select MS-DOS as the Volume Format), this way you can read and write it on both machines. Then, simply copy your iTunes library from the one machine and import it on the other.

Alternatively, you can share your iTunes library folder on the PC and connect to it with the Mac using the 'Go' menu and 'Connect to Server' option. This can be a bit more difficult to do depending on the security software and settings on your PC.

Once you import your library on the distination machine, you'll need to play one of your purchased tracks. iTunes will prompt you to "authorize" the machine to play these tracks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
I think there's software you can buy for Mac that will allow OSX to write to an NTFS drive. If you can find it, you could mount your PC's HDD as a network drive on your Mac, and transfer all of your new music files over the network that way...it'd be much faster than copying them twice (once to the portable HDD, and again to the PC) over USB 2.0. All of this, of course, is assuming that you can find some software to allow OSX to write to NTFS.

If that solution does NOT work out, you can mount your Mac's OSX HDD on your PC using MacDrive and the network connection.

Both of these solutions require both of your computers to be connected to the same network router, either wired or over airport/WiFI connection.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I think there's software you can buy for Mac that will allow OSX to write to an NTFS drive.

When connecting over a network using SMB, it doesn't matter what the other machine's filesystem is, you can read and write to it, assuming you have the correct permissions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
When connecting over a network using SMB, it doesn't matter what the other machine's filesystem is, you can read and write to it, assuming you have the correct permissions.

Thanks for clarifying that, I knew that you needed special software, at least on the Windows side, to write to the other's disk over USB. If you don't need any extra software to write to a different drive filesystem over a network, then I think this makes this solution that much more appealing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.