• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

what picture format to use in FCP?

Reaction score
Currently im working on a small dvd project that will consist of numerous picture slideshows with music background. All of this is getting done with Final Cut Pro and Aperture. When im exporting the selected images what is the best format to use for my purpose? JPEG, TIFF or PNG, or it makes no difference. Also, do i need to deinterlace all the photos before they are added to the time line?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
i dont think it makes much difference. but JPEG's are the smallest file so if you dont want each picture to use up ldz of space then use JPEG format.

CLP - Windows Clipart
DCX - ZOFT Paintbrush
DIB - OS/2 Warp format
FPX - Kodak's FlashPic
IMG GEM - Paint format
JIF JPEG - Related Image format
MAC - MacPaint
MSP - MacPaint New Version
PCT Macintosh PICT format
PCX ZSoft Paintbrush
PPM Portable Pixel Map (UNIX)
PSP Paint Shop Pro format
RAW - Unencoded image format (very large)
RLE Run-Length Encoding
(Used to lower image bit rates)
TIFF - Aldus Corporation format
WPG - WordPerfect image format

hope this helps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I wouldn't use JPEG if the original file is something else because JPEGs degrade the image quality. If you must, then leave the quality option to its highest setting.

I couldn't find a quick answer regarding interlacing.

Here are a couple of links you might be interest in though.
Photoshop in FCP
Pan and Scan in FCP.
They have many tutorials.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.