How much Ram

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 DP 1.8 160 Super Drive 17 " Display
I am buying a new DP G5 1.8. I want to do video editing with Final Cut Xpres.
How much better render time is it if I install 2 gig instead of 1 gig? Is there that much improvement.

Al

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
With video editing you will see improvement with 2 gigs over 1.

The bare minimum for serious editers in my mind is 1gb but 2 is definitely adequete (sp?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Yeah, there's really no such thing as too much RAM. And I personally believe in loading each slot with the max possible card :)

N

nicholas

If you're serious about editing and post-production work, render times (even in seconds) really cut your train-of-thought, workflow, and creative juices. Bite the bullet and get as much RAM as you can, I personally would recommend over 2GB. Being a film student myself, render times are your worst enemy.

R

RobDreugan

nicholas said:
If you're serious about editing and post-production work, render times (even in seconds) really cut your train-of-thought, workflow, and creative juices. Bite the bullet and get as much RAM as you can, I personally would recommend over 2GB. Being a film student myself, render times are your worst enemy.

I definitely agree, although I just don't know if it's a waste of money at the moment with the express version of FC. I don't know what the differences are as far as what it doesn't do compared with the full, but to me if someone is serious about editing they wouldn't get the express version.

You'll be fine with 1 gig of ram until you get more into things and actually get the full version.

There's no such thing as too much ram, but I wouldn't run out and spend the money until I was going to get the right tools as well. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.