Boot Camp won't install, etc.

Reaction score
I've browsed through several threads of Boot Camp problems but I have a sort of specific set of questions that aren't totally addressed in any of the ones I saw. Sorry for any redundancy. These are in order of priority.

1. I've tried to install Boot Camp but it says it can't mount it. Any reasons for this. The first time I downloaded it, there was an Excel file, but it wasn't actually an Excel file because Excel couldn't open it. The second time I downloaded, it was just the .dmg file. And still, wouldn't mount.

Any ideas why?

2. I have Windows XP SP1. Should I slipstream and SP3 to use instead? Has anyone had better success this way?

3. Can anybody suggest good security options, on the cheap, that have worked for them?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Where are you downloading Boot Camp from? The file from Apple's site should work just fine.

Boot Camp requires that you use Windows XP SP2, so your SP1 disc won't work.

There are lots of good anti-virus programs out there. Check out AVG for one

OP
S
Reaction score
Using Apple's download

I'm using the download from the Apple site, but for some reason, no luck. I guess I'll give it another shot.

Regarding SP2, there shouldn't be a problem slipstreaming the disk using Mac OS X, right? In other words, before I install Windows, if I copy the files and do the slipstreaming on my Mac, should there be any problem?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If you have access to a Windows computer, then take a look at nLite. It is a much easier, and not to mention less error-prone, than trying to slipstream SP2 by yourself

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.