• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Coming soon to macbook ?

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone might have an estimate of when the following might be making their way to the macbook family :

A) Leopard OSX 10.5
B) Intel Core Quad

I know so far that they're coming out this october and this february respectively to the public, but i just wondered if any of you might know (or even have an estimate of) how long it will take them to come to macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
As you already pointed out, OS X 10.5 is due out by October. Whenever it is finally released, all Macs sold after its release will have it included.

You also mentioned that this new Intel thing is out in Februrary, so you already seem to know more than anyone else would about the topic.
You are NEVER going to know or be able to give an estimate on what Apple plans on doing until they actually announce it or do it.

Just keep your eyes peeled on Apple's page for any and all updates on their hardware and software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook (black) 2.0 core2, 2gigs ram, 120gig HD / 24" iMac, 2.33 core 2, 2 gig, 256 grapics, 500hd
I think the "quad" idea is a little much for the macbook. due to the fact of heat issues not to mention the macbook being an entry level consumer product. I believe the macbook is intended to draw people to apple with a "snappy" price.... Possibly the macpro?

Reaction score
I doubt they would have quad-core for any of the Mac laptop series, its just not needed and heat issues might be a problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 2.0ghz C2D, 120gb hdd, 1gb RAM
yea macbooks aren't really supposed to have that much power. Quad core processors MIGHT eventually make it onto portables later on but no time soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2Ghz C2D, 2GB ram
Its not that they arent supposed to have that much power, they really do fly. Its a combination of heat, price, and shortened battery life that makes it seem unlikely to see them in the Macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
Yeah, quad cores would suck the battry dry in no time! not to mention, cause loads of heat.... would be interesting to see how they deal with the heat tho?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
Notebooks of today simply cant handle quad core. Have you EVER seen a notebook with a quad core?

Maybe, eventually, someone will develop an advanced cooling system that could allow quad cores into notebooks, but at the moment, the laptop would overheat or maybe even catch fire.

The other problem of today is that quad cores cost as much as an entire computer. In about 5 years the price will have probably gone down.

Also, as mentioned before, someone over at Apple would have to develop huge batteries to handle them. We're talking about six times more capacity to work for the same amount of time. Maybe in 10 years we could be ready to put quad cores in notebooks, but right now, it is implausible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 1.83 C2D, 1GB, 60GB, CD
Notebooks of today simply cant handle quad core. Have you EVER seen a notebook with a quad core?

Maybe, eventually, someone will develop an advanced cooling system that could allow quad cores into notebooks, but at the moment, the laptop would overheat or maybe even catch fire.

The other problem of today is that quad cores cost as much as an entire computer. In about 5 years the price will have probably gone down.

Also, as mentioned before, someone over at Apple would have to develop huge batteries to handle them. We're talking about six times more capacity to work for the same amount of time. Maybe in 10 years we could be ready to put quad cores in notebooks, but right now, it is implausible.

I'm not so sure it will be as far out as 10 years, but I agree that it will be many years before we see a quad-core notebook.

Power drain would be just unimaginable. Current battery power notebooks would be: Turn on notebook, open a program, battery drained. Of course this is probably being over-dramatic, but you understand the picture. The notebook would become a luggable desktop replacement that you would always have to have the power cord with you.

Heat would be another issue. I'm not even going to get into this. I remember people complaining MacBooks get to hot with current C2D chips. Could you imagine the complaints with a Q4 chip? Of course, I've had my Macbook since February 07 and can say that I've never had any overheat problems.

The MacBook is a solid machine imho. I suspect Apple will maybe bump up C2D speeds, maybe more memory, and bigger hard drives instead. I would love to see a graphics card improvement and so would my wife, but I won't hold my breath. I'll be buying her a MacBook soon, but we're going to wait a month and see what Apple does for two reasons. Please see this discussion for one reason on why we're waiting - http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61615. Second reason is because we can afford to wait. She's already been using my MacBook for her Photoshop and Illustrator programs.

It will nice to add another non-windows computer to our household. As of two weekends ago, only have 1 windows machine. That's our gaming computer. :) Reformatted our old Dell computer we'd been using as a file server. Now is a file server running Suse 10 Linux. Works beautifully.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.