Question

• Thread starter CaptainStandish
  • Start date
C

CaptainStandish

I read on a couple of web sites, when a program is acting up you should trash the preferences. Does this mean to trash all the preferences in the preferences folder, or just the preferences of that specific program. Also, I noticed that there are two different preference folders, the one that is located when you open your hard drive and go directly into the library and the preferences folder is there, and the one where you open the hard drive, go to your "home" and then go to the library to that preferences folder. The second part of my question is, if you have elaborate things set-up, such as keyboard layouts and screen layouts for final cut etc..., wouldn't trashing the preferences hurt you, because you lose all that? or am I mistaken something.

Thanks for the help and to anybody that can explain this to me better

OP
P

pcjabber

CaptainStandish said:
I read on a couple of web sites, when a program is acting up you should trash the preferences. Does this mean to trash all the preferences in the preferences folder, or just the preferences of that specific program.

Just the ones for that program.
CaptainStandish said:
Also, I noticed that there are two different preference folders, the one that is located when you open your hard drive and go directly into the library and the preferences folder is there, and the one where you open the hard drive, go to your "home" and then go to the library to that preferences folder. The second part of my question is, if you have elaborate things set-up, such as keyboard layouts and screen layouts for final cut etc..., wouldn't trashing the preferences hurt you, because you lose all that? or am I mistaken something.

For your first part of that question, usually you would open the prefs in your home folder. The second part, if you trash the settings for Final Cut, then yes, certain prefs could be lost. Same for keyboard layouts. But whatever you trash the prefs for, that will be the only program that will lose settings (and sometimes it doesnt, if it saves prefs in other places....)

--PCjabber

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.