HD space?

Reaction score
I recently bought a new macbook and I love it, even though I admit I'm stumbling around it like a newbie.

One thing that surprised me though, was how little HD space was left after transferring my files from my old pc laptop.

My question is: are there any programs that aren't really worth keeping that eat up tons of HD space?

So far my only complaints about the switch are that for some reason I can't get aim for mac to work (don't care for iChat too much yet) and the space issue.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro
First of all, welcome to the world of Mac!

As for programs that "aren't really worth keeping", that's subjective. I freed up almost 3gb as I recall by removing Garage Band and it's applcation support folder (Library/Application Support/Garage Band). As I recall, the application support folder was the majority of that. If it is installed, I'd consider removing the MS Office 2004 trial that is usually pre-installed. Unless you plan on paying for it, it's not worth keeping. Delete it and download NeoOffice.

You can also remove the iWork trial that comes pre-installed if you have no intention of using it. As I recall, that also freed up a couple of gb of disk space.

Again, welcome. You'll feel your way through it.

-Matt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
Disk Inventory X

Hey nullboy. In addition to asking around about what programs take up a lot of space, I recommend doing a little research into your machine to find out where all of your space is actually going.

Try Disk Inventory X out, it gives a sweet graphical representation of your HD according to file size.

from the site:
screenshot_small

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" ibook g4, 1.42ghz. 512mb ram, 60gb hdd
^^Thats amazing!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
Just be careful about what you delete O:)

No responsibility here :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
Cheers for that Walmart that looks like a Very Handy App!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.