• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Greensburg KS Tornado

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
This tornado entirely wiped out a whole town about 100 miles west of where I live... The power nature has is simply incredible... My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and families dealing with this.

Here's a couple of pictures... more in the link below.

It was an EF5 rated Tornado (the most powerful rating) and was 1.8 miles wide.

_MG_0319.jpg

_MG_0395.jpg

_S3G1049.jpg

http://www.kansas.com/static/slides/050507tornadoaerials/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
That's been all over the news recently. It looks bad, and that's just the small portion they show. Somehow the tornadoes never seem to make it over to my neck of the woods. And the bad part is lots of older places in Wichita don't have basements.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
WOW... Mother Nature was PMSing... :D

On Serious note tho, My heart and prayers go out to everyone who had to deal with this Monster of a Tornado.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
One of my professors was dispatched with the National Guard to help clean up with the mess. I guess one of the places that got hit was an ammonia plant, and several of the storage tanks got ruptured, and it's a huge hazardous mess. So we're left on our own to finish projects, and who knows who's going to give the final... Maybe we won't have one? <-I sure hope so...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
Just saw it on the morning news here. WOW I hope that they all manage to get their lives back on track. We don't have anything like that in Australia.....just lots of sharks, venomous snakes, and spiders. Although we did have cyclone Tracy about 20 years ago the devastated Darwin (which is at the northern most parts of Aust)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2Ghz C2D, 2GB ram
We studied the tornado extensively today in Meteorology. It looks as if its the second worst in US history, an EF-5!!!
Reminds me of the damage produced by Katrina!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
I've been to Kansas a few times and I love the area, but those major size tornadoes scare the bejeebers out of me. Where I live was hit with a F2 last year but nothing even close to what those people went though, very sad indeed.

OP
RiDE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
It's pretty amazing, that a whole town could be leveled in under 5 minutes...

1 minute you have all of your worldly possessions.... the next minute.... all gone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
It's pretty amazing, that a whole town could be leveled in under 5 minutes...

1 minute you have all of your worldly possessions.... the next minute.... all gone.
More details here:

http://www.kansas.com/233/index.html

It's terrible that 11 people died. It's amazing the number wasn't higher.

OP
RiDE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
A lot of people were saved by the fact that they had about 20 minutes of warning before it arrived. Tornado's are at their worst during the night when they are very hard to see coming... During the day they are a lot easier to get away from as they are easily seen (though that fact isn't going to save your home)... When the sirens go off at night, it's pretty scary having to grab the kids and get in the basement.

OP
RiDE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Thanks gnrfsu... But it WAS 100 miles away from us.. so no real threat to our family. Our sirens went off during the day on Sunday, we went down to the basement, then checked the web, and found the Tornado was in the opposite corner of the county... no worries.

Thanks again though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.