MB and MBP hard drive upgrade

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
Hi guys. I'm still a little lost when it comes to the hardware side of things in the Mac world. What am I looking for to know what's compatible with a new MB or MBP? The inner geek in me wants to customize things, whichever one I go with. Although, I've heard the way the hard drives are setup they're pretty quick as it is. I'd really like to have a blazing fast boot up, and no lag opening programs though. This would void my warranty though right? If so, Could I easily swap the stock hard drive back in should I need to use the warranty? Is it a difficult switch, or like most other notebooks, simple open up and disconnect?

I'm looking for 7200rpm, preferably 100gb and up. Browsing newegg but can't seem to figure out which ones would work with the MB and MBP for sure. Thanks!

Edit: This one seems pretty sweet... what do you think? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822146226

Reaction score
for a MacBook it needs to be 2.5" and SATA (aka Serial ATA)...I think the MBP takes the same specs but someone should confirm.

AFAIK it doesn't void the warranty since Apple gives directions themselves on how to do it for the MB...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
for a MacBook it needs to be 2.5" and SATA (aka Serial ATA)...I think the MBP takes the same specs but someone should confirm.

AFAIK it doesn't void the warranty since Apple gives directions themselves on how to do it for the MB...
You are correct, both use a standard SATA laptop drive.

You can only change out the drive on a MacBook without voiding the warrantee since you just have to pop out the battery. You would need to take off the case of the MacBook Pro to change the hard drive, thus voiding your warrantee.

OP
flilow06
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
You would need to take off the case of the MacBook Pro to change the hard drive, thus voiding your warrantee.

Just spoke to Apple and swapping out the hard drive does indeed void the warranty, unless performed by an authorized Apple dealer for a lot of $$. So much for that idea...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.