.wmv on a mac

Reaction score
hey folks, how can i watch .wmv files on a mac? I get emails form friends that have these types of files attatched that i would like to watch. is there a freeware program i can load? link please, thanks, steve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Do NOT and I repeat, do NOT install windows media player on your Mac. Instead download flip4mac. http://www.flip4mac.com/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
WMP for Mac was declared end of life about a year ago. Not to mention it basically doesn't play well with Intel Macs.

Flip4Mac is the official replacement and is even linked to from Microsoft's own site when looking for WMP for Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I should have phrased things better so I apologize.

I installed it on my C2D iMac and had a lot of problems with it and when I tried to uninstall it, it wasn't as simple as just dragging and dropping to the trash as it installed all this stuff there it would not let me get rid of it. It was a real PITA to get rid of it. So from my personal experience, life is much easier with installing Flip4Mac. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WMP for Mac was declared end of life about a year ago. Not to mention it basically doesn't play well with Intel Macs.

Precisely!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

Flip4Mac is the official replacement and is even linked to from Microsoft's own site when looking for WMP for Mac.

news to me. thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
I should have phrased things better so I apologize.

I installed it on my C2D iMac and had a lot of problems with it and when I tried to uninstall it, it wasn't as simple as just dragging and dropping to the trash as it installed all this stuff there it would not let me get rid of it. It was a real PITA to get rid of it. So from my personal experience, life is much easier with installing Flip4Mac. :)

makes sense.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB
yes it does (VLC). I know I play them at my mbp.

I've never used flip4mac, although I've heard good things about it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.