Close All Programs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600
Is there an app that can close all of my open programs at once (kind of like if i was shutting down my computer, minus the shutting down)?

I would greatly appreciate it if you guys at MF can help me!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Yeah, it's me again. Your best bet would probably be the Terminal.app command line killall. You can specify by name what apps you know are running, and give their names as arguments to the killall command. So for example if I have iChat, iTunes, Mail, Preview, Safari, Azureus (Force quit shows that as SWT for some reason), Terminal, TextEdit, and Finder (which of course you can't quit) I could issue:

$ killall iChat iTunes Mail Preview Safari SWT Terminal Textedit

Of course you might need to add the .app to each of those process names since that would be what Mac OS X knows them as.

OP
Ninjab3ar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, it's me again. Your best bet would probably be the Terminal.app command line killall. You can specify by name what apps you know are running, and give their names as arguments to the killall command. So for example if I have iChat, iTunes, Mail, Preview, Safari, Azureus (Force quit shows that as SWT for some reason), Terminal, TextEdit, and Finder (which of course you can't quit) I could issue:

$ killall iChat iTunes Mail Preview Safari SWT Terminal Textedit

Of course you might need to add the .app to each of those process names since that would be what Mac OS X knows them as.

Thanks for the advice, but eh... it sounds like a lot of work, lol (and doesnt killall force quit it?). I just wanted to know if there was a program that the exact thing that OS X did when it shut down, minus closing finder, or turning off the computer. I tend to be the type that likes running many programs at once, and sometimes i need to close them all to run a RAM intensive program. Do you think OS X has a feature that does it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
You can log out and back in. That's not a shut down.

Otherwise...
Command+Tab, keep command held down and keep hitting Q. They'll pop off the bezel as they quit.

OP
Ninjab3ar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Otherwise...
Command+Tab, keep command held down and keep hitting Q. They'll pop off the bezel as they quit.

Wow, great tip! That works!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And if you don't feel like waiting for them to quit (big apps)...

Command+Tab, keep command held down while : Q-tab-Q-tab-Q-tab (quickly).

Reaction score
You could also use an AppleScript to quit everything at once. One is described here, but read the whole thing. I haven't tried it.

If you decide to look for other AppleScripts (to do that or anything else), make sure they aren't for OS 9 or older. If there is no such information, check the dates on the stories or posts. It could save a ton of frustration.

OP
Ninjab3ar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You could also use an AppleScript to quit everything at once. One is described here, but read the whole thing. I haven't tried it.

If you decide to look for other AppleScripts (to do that or anything else), make sure they aren't for OS 9 or older. If there is no such information, check the dates on the stories or posts. It could save a ton of frustration.

Cool, do you know of any places i can go to learn applescript? I want to be able to make niftly little commands like that

Reaction score
Himmelbar http://softbend.free.fr/himmelbar/ can do that and much MUCH more. It's a program launcher that can also quit all programs (or quit all programs that aren't in your exception list). Terrific utility that sits in your menu bar.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,white 2.16ghz C2D/2GB RAM/120GB, iPOD 60GB
stupid question here from a noob...

what happens if you shut down with applications still running?

I read a tip saying to make sure to close apps and not just minimize them.

I'm about to be a switcher in two weeks =P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
stupid question here from a noob...

what happens if you shut down with applications still running?

I read a tip saying to make sure to close apps and not just minimize them.

I'm about to be a switcher in two weeks =P

I have shut down with things like iTunes/Mail/Firefox running and I have had no problems.

M

MacHeadCase

If the apps don't have any unsaved documents or work, the system will shut/quit them for you.

If some apps have some unsaved work, the shut down is postponed till you save your work or completely stopped if you do not respond to the prompt to save your work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB
You can log out and back in. That's not a shut down.

Otherwise...

wow...I liked that VERY much!! Tks!!

OP
Ninjab3ar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ninjab3ar,

Closing programs might not necessarily free up all the ram they were using. Usually the ram stays "Inactive" which is different than "free". I'm not too sure what the destinction is in performance.
The only way (that I know of) to REALLY free up the ram is to reboot. So depending on what you need to quit all apps for, a reboot might be the best bet.

OP
Ninjab3ar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ninjab3ar,

Closing programs might not necessarily free up all the ram they were using. Usually the ram stays "Inactive" which is different than "free". I'm not too sure what the destinction is in performance.
The only way (that I know of) to REALLY free up the ram is to reboot. So depending on what you need to quit all apps for, a reboot might be the best bet.

I know, but it helps. I just needed an app like this to close the 10-15 apps I tend to run at the same time (Yikes!) all at once so that I can run programs like parallels at least when Im running Windows. I've tried Ubuntu on it and its MUCH more RAM efficient.

Reaction score
Couldn't you just press Command+Q several times? Is quitting the same as shutting down the apps right?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.