• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Climb some rope!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
Actually, it's me that wants some climbing rope. I remember from my bootcamp days (ok ok, only a few years ago :p ) that simply scaling a tall rope was a killer exercise. Here's my question: Does anyone know what kind of rope I should buy and where to buy it so that I can hang some out in my back yard and get my climb on? I've walked into Lowes and the Home Depot but have been kind of disappointed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM
do you mean climbing rope that a rock climber would use or the really thick bullrope? (might be called) that you would just climb up? For the first you could check any local outdoor stores that would carry rock climbing equipment, the latter you could maybe find at a sports store also, or maybe a store that sells boating equipment and accesories. Another thought would be an army/navy store that sells a bunch of "army" type stuff... good luck

*edit, from your post i take it you mean the thicker stuff

OP
walmartconnect
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, rope that rock climbers use is not what I am looking for. Unfortunately it's hard for me to remember exactly what the thickness was on said rope, just wondering if anyone had a better idea of it than me.

Reaction score
Now you are REALLY taxing my memory. If I remember correctly the rope I climbed in boot camp was hemp and very thick - I would say approximately 1 to 1 1/2 inches in diameter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM
yeah i know exactly what you mean, my parents neighbors have a long piece of it hanging in their front yard for their kids to use. I would say check at a local boat store, army supply store, or an outdoor/sports store

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB
Go to an outdoor shop and you'll have more choice than you can shake a stick at. You'll pay a lot for proper climbing rope as it's performance-critical.

Reaction score
If you live near a marine store they will probably have 1" thick hawser and will even be able to whip the ends correctly.

OP
walmartconnect
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm, I'm way too many hours from the nearest PX (There's an Air National Guard base nearby :Smirk: however), I'll try out a sporting good store, maybe ****'s or somewhere similar. The 1 1/2 inch thick hemp rope sounds kind of like a match.

Reaction score
Hmm, I'm way too many hours from the nearest PX (There's an Air National Guard base nearby :Smirk: however), I'll try out a sporting good store, maybe ****'s or somewhere similar. The 1 1/2 inch thick hemp rope sounds kind of like a match.

Are you near a Coast Guard Base?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
If you live near a marine store they will probably have 1" thick hawser and will even be able to whip the ends correctly.
now there is some terminology that i understand.

even 1.5 inch nylon rope would work. i think that a marine store would have some for mooring lines.

OP
walmartconnect
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah ha! mooring lines! That makes sense, from what I remember that is what they resemble. I do happen to live about 30 minutes from Coast Guard Base Cape May, maybe I'll take a gander down there in the near future.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.