Are these iMac upgrades worth the money?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macOS Big Sur V.11.2.3 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2019) 3.1GHz 6 Core Intel Core i5, 16 GB DDR4 SSD,
I am wanting to buy a 20" iMax intel 2 duo processor. I am currently a "pc" user, e-mail, photos, occasional documents, financial use, and a few card games. I want faster speed when I click on an item.

Are these upgrades worth the cost?

2.33GHz processor for $250.00
2GB memory for $175.00
256MB Graphics card for $75.00

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Welcome the the forums Postoak!!!!
Here is MY own personal opinion:

2.33GHz processor for $250.00 <---- NO, Not at all worth $250!
2GB memory for $175.00<---- YES, very worth it!!!
256MB Graphics card for $75.00 <--- Yes... I would get it just in case you ever decide to play more graphics intensive games, programs , etc. As it can not be upgraded latter.

Reaction score
Primarily, and this is very a very liberal way of explaining "speed" of your computer. RAM is what you want more of. For me, honestly, any current processor will do the work I need. If you're looking to "speed up" things when you click a particular action/item, you want more ram. I'd agree with RIDE, the graphics card and the ram are good buys. I wouldn't bother with upgrading the processor.

Hope this helps,
Scott

Some useful information on Ram

RAM
How RAM Works

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
I'm with RIDE on this one. ^_^ Good call! VirtRep!
icon14.gif

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macOS Big Sur V.11.2.3 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2019) 3.1GHz 6 Core Intel Core i5, 16 GB DDR4 SSD,
OK, thanks for that helpful information about the processor speed. Now I can use that $250.00 on something more useful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Soooo.... you're not with me on the other "one"???? ;D ;D ;D

;P
You weren't supposed to reveal anything about that. :Cool: :Mischievous:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Well, it depends on ur budget first and foremost and then on your useage.

So the 2.33GHz I don't think it is worth it really. I am running on a MacBook with 2GHz and haven't skipped a beat and it awesome and very fast.

2GB Memory, espcially if u'd ever to consider running windows on ur iMac wheather through Parallels or Boot Camp is highley recommended. And even if there is no intention to Run windows 2GB or Ram makes the Mac that much Faster.. (Seat Belts sold Seperatly :D)

When it comes to the 256MB Graphics, well its back to ur useage, are u going to play games, do some serious video/photo editting, then go for it becuase like Ride mentioned above you can't upgrade later.

Cheers.

P.S. no matter what combo u choose to go with, u will be make a good decision coz Macs are that much Superior to PC u will feel the difference rite away.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wonder what happened to memory, a few years ago they were giving it away basicly. Now to upgrade to 3GB from 1GB is $750.00...whew! I'll have to stick with 2GB financially, which will be plenty I'm sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
$750?! Whew. 2G should do you just fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Welcome the the forums Postoak!!!!
Here is MY own personal opinion:

2.33GHz processor for $250.00 <---- NO, Not at all worth $250!
2GB memory for $175.00<---- YES, very worth it!!!
256MB Graphics card for $75.00 <--- Yes... I would get it just in case you ever decide to play more graphics intensive games, programs , etc. As it can not be upgraded latter.

Wow Ride, I'm so opposed to this buddy.

1) I find the cpu upgrade worth it, to make the mac 'last longer', "future proofing" as it's called here.

2) Apple overcharges for ram. Do get the ram, but NOT worth buying it from apple!

Reaction score
Don't worry about the extra processing power. Go for the extra ram and better video card. That will help you more in the long run.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the good advice, I have ordered it online with everything except the 2.33GHz processor. You are right Giulio, but the cost was too much for me. I spent that $250. on Office 2004 Student and Teacher mac edition and 3 year extended support. I hope the Canon Pixma MP510 printer will hook up to this without any problems. "I'll be back!"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2Ghz C2D, 2GB ram
I think you made the right choice here. The difference in teh CPU speed wont be nearly as noticeable as the extra 1GB of RAM is.

There is no reason why the printer wouldnt work, should just be plug and play so to speak.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
It's funny. One day (maybe 1994?), an 80 MHz Macintosh was the speed demon. Today we find 400 MHz to be trivial!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
additional ram only helps speed up your computer if your computer is running out of memory with its current setup....it really annoys me when people say that ram speeds up your computer....no it doesnt most of the time....you dont need any more than 768MB to rum word, mail.app, itunes, and safari at the same time
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
additional ram only helps speed up your computer if your computer is running out of memory with its current setup....it really annoys me when people say that ram speeds up your computer....no it doesnt most of the time....you dont need any more than 768MB to rum word, mail.app, itunes, and safari at the same time
-chris
I couldn't have said it better myself. Yes, more RAM can be good and won't really hurt things or make it worse... but it doesn't always make it better if you don't need it to begin with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600
-chris

Yeah, couldnt have said it better myself! I've seen WAY to many people buy 2.33ghz MacBook Pros w/ 3Gigs of ram, and use it mainly as a "myspace reader"

Reaction score
People say that apple charges too much for ram, but you have to watch the way the ram is set up. If you buy 1gig in an iMac they give you 2 512mb stick, so to upgrade to 2 gigs you have to buy 2 1 gig sticks. Buying the 2 gigs from apple really isn't that expensive compared to switching them out. I noticed the macbook has the same set-up, but the MBP has a single 1 gig stick, so going up to 2 gigs means just buying one more gig.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.