photo software for beginner

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook C2D 2.0ghz, 2GB ram, 80 Gig HD
im new to macs, and never really done any photo editing before, however i plan on getitng a new camera, and i would also like to clean up and sharpen some old pics.
which is a good easy to use software that i can use to clean up images, altering things such as flash reflection things like that.

is photoshop going to be too much for me or is it easy to use?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
is photoshop going to be too much for me or is it easy to use?

I think that the answer to that question is entirely up to you :) Photoshop is the Queen of this type of software however, and there will be much to learn as well some feel that the price of Photoshop is high.

I have never used it but the Gimp is supposed to do a similar job to Photoshop and is free.

M

MacHeadCase

You could check out Photoshop Elements as well.

It isn't free but it will do most of what you need: taking red eye out, sharpening, adding lightness, contrast or taking some of it out, etc.

Reaction score
Hey crunch... I'm a big fan of Photoshop Elements. From what you've said, I think Photoshop Elements will do you fine (and more). There are a lot of resources out there as well. I subscribe to Elements and it's got a ton of video tutorials as well. Like MHC said, it's not free but for the price it's very reasonable and will do most anything you probably need.

Hope this helps.

Scott

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Good advice on Photoshop Elements, but I'd just like to add that it is due for an update to version 5, which presumably will be a universal binary (meaning that it will natively on Intel hardware). Since Photoshop 3 just came out as a UB, I don't think it will be too much longer until Elements 5.0 surfaces.

In the meantime, you might want to try cutting your teeth on The Gimp or Gimpshop. Any skills you gain from using these tools will translate into using Photoshop Elements. There are also a handful of other utilities that will do basic photo manipulation like ImageWell and PhotoComplete.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook C2D 2.0ghz, 2GB ram, 80 Gig HD
thanks for the advice, i'll keep an eye out for the UB version of elements, think that sounds about right for me. seeing as ive never done any photo editing before i dont want anything too complex. but want something i can learn to improve with.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
thanks for the advice, i'll keep an eye out for the UB version of elements, think that sounds about right for me. seeing as ive never done any photo editing before i dont want anything too complex. but want something i can learn to improve with.

I posted a link to a program called PhotoComplete earlier. I've been playing around with that program and it is VERY easy to use and does most of the common fixes that the average person will do. I think that should hold you over until Elements 5 comes out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
either photoshop elements or iphoto (basic editing)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Great looking program, that PhotoComplete. I am trying it out. Thanks cwa107!

Virtual rep, since I can't seem to post the real thing (you know the story... gotta spread some more around first...).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 16g iPhone 3g, 30g iPod classic
I'm in a similar situation, looking for a paint-like program similar to that on Windows. Something that's not illegal to download and isn't a 30 day trial... I'm not exactly computer savvy so something that's relatively easy to use. I also have absolutely no idea how to post a new thread on here. Maybe I'll figure that out some day, haha.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.