Keep your Wi-Fi Network safe, switch to WPA

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I've been saying it for some time now, but here's an article that sums it up nicely.

If you are currently using WEP or no encryption at all, your wireless network is at risk. Don't be fooled into a false sense of security that your WEP encryption will be an effective deterrent. According to this article (and several others that I've read), WEP can be broken in as little as 60 seconds, 5 minutes in a "worst case scenario".

If you would like to change to WPA security, you will need to access your router's web configuration page (typically done by opening a browser and putting the address of the router in the address bar) You can find your router's address by checking the default gateway setting for your AirPort in System Preferences > Networking. Configuration will vary by router model, but your documentation should cover the details. Once the change is made to your router and you've chosen a password, each client on your network will need to have its connection updated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Just to add, I know someone who works at Cinetiq, the UK R&D company, and he can break a WEP network in 45 minutes just using brute force, so I can well believe those figures.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G4/450 OSX 10.4.11
First thing I did when I got my new router was change the IP, the SSID, changed the password to login to the router and switched WPA on.

My next door neighbour doesn't think that way to the point where I have printouts to prove he uses grokster. He hasn't put any security on, has opened the ports for P2P and still has the default SSID, username and password which basically means I can cause mayhem if I want

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
First thing I did when I got my new router was change the IP, the SSID, changed the password to login to the router and switched WPA on.

My next door neighbour doesn't think that way to the point where I have printouts to prove he uses grokster. He hasn't put any security on, has opened the ports for P2P and still has the default SSID, username and password which basically means I can cause mayhem if I want

A friend of mine likes to say "The stupid shall be punished" - and that's true.

Reaction score
I cracked my 128-bit WEP key within 40 seconds on the MacBook Pro. Now let me say, yes WEP can be broken quickly, however one must capture some serious IV's before it can be done this fast. I had to capture around 900,000 IV's, which took around 8 hours of active collection in a slow network environment. Networks with users active will produce more IV's quicker, but it "might" take 1, 2, 3, 4 + hours to obtain that many. And yes, I agree WEP is no longer the secure method of securing a network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
I cracked my 128-bit WEP key within 40 seconds on the MacBook Pro. Now let me say, yes WEP can be broken quickly, however one must capture some serious IV's before it can be done this fast. I had to capture around 900,000 IV's, which took around 8 hours of active collection in a slow network environment. Networks with users active will produce more IV's quicker, but it "might" take 1, 2, 3, 4 + hours to obtain that many. And yes, I agree WEP is no longer the secure method of securing a network.

Thats a good cigar.

And that was a good article =)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.