Just a quick network question from a new switcher

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.4 Ghz 2GB RAM
I will be buying my new Macbook Pro soon and I will be getting it from the Apple Store. My family already has a wireless system set up in our house and from what I have read that I will just need to buy the Airport Extreme Card?

I have read that if I install it myself I will void the warranty or no?

Should I just have them put it in at the Apple Store when I buy it or will I be alright installing it myself.

Someone help me!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 1.83 C2D, 1GB, 60GB, CD
All new Macbooks and MacBook Pro's come with built-in Airport Extreme Wireless. You will not need to install any card.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
The Macbook Pro Is preconfigured with a Aiport wireless card you just have to configure it to connect to your router at home.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Your Macbook Pro will come with a wireless card (in the form of an Airport Extreme) already installed, and will no doubt figure out how to connect to the existing wireless network once you get it home. If your family's wireless network is secured with WEP you'll need to give it the WEP key (or WPA key) to connect, but connect it should.

I had an existing wireless network with a linksys router when we got our Macbooks, and other than the idiosyncracy of having to put a '$' in front of the WEP key for that particular router there was no problem connecting. Recently Verizon installed FIOS with their own wireless router which my Macbook happily connected to (after entering the WEP key) and am using to this day.

As far as I know, there is no Macbook or Macbook pro which does not come with an Airport wifi adapter, and thus you should be able to connect to just about any wireless network that is not secured (there are many, and I routinely do so) or any that is secured if you know the key to get onto it.

OP
MXER514
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.4 Ghz 2GB RAM
Wow! Thanks a lot for the quick and awesome responses.

My family's network does not have a key or anything because we are in a pretty rural area and I doubt anyone is stealing our internet.

:cool:

I look forward to getting my Mac as well as being a member of these forums!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
Welcome MXER514!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.