Help me!

Reaction score
Currently, I've got a Toshiba M45-S169 that I've had for about 2 years and it has worked great, but it's time for a new laptop and I'm seriously considering the macbook pro 15" with the 2.33ghz setup. I've done a bit of research of the native programs and random gadgets (which btw sound really really cool) that come with the pro, but before I make a $2500 purchase I want to make sure I know what I'm getting into.
My first concern is compatability. Even having only used the new Mac OS a limited number of times (I've also played around with the online demo's a bit), I already like it more than anything else I've touched (especially Vista). That being said, I know that while the popularity of macs is on the rise (and such the format and compatability of programs) most of what's out there is windows-based. I've heard that there is a way or a program that allows you to use any windows program on a mac, which Im sure works fine for smaller, simple programs, but I use 3 or 4 programs that I'd be worried about not working correctly. Also, for those programs that ARE simple/small are there common issues that must be dealt with when fusing the compatability to Macs? What would help me understand and be more comfortable with this issue would be if someone wrote out a brief description of how the compatability process works, and any issues that may arise.
My second and really my only other concern would be the rumor of overheating. I have a couple of friends with Macbooks who say they've never had a problem with it, but I'm planning on buying the Pro with the 2.33ghz processor and 256mb gfx card and using it for Counter-stike: Source (by the way you can play that on a mac, right?), so it's a little beefier and will create more heat and I was just wondering what the experiences of other people with a similiar setup have been?
To any and all people who respond, thank you very much!! Hopefully I'll be responding to everyone here from a new computer within a week or so!

Jeff

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
What are the 3 or 4 programs, that you are concerned about? Knowing this will help answer your questions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600
Hey Jeff, WELCOME TO MAC-FORUMS!

When it comes to running windows programs on a Mac, there are three main options to consider, I'll go through all three:

1) Boot Camp (Free via Apple's Website)
-Boot Camp is a utility that allow you to create a partition on your laptop's hard drive to allow you to install Windows XP or Vista on. Once you have that set up, holding the alt key when booting up allows you to chose which operating system you want to boot up in. Using Windows in Boot Camp is almost exactly like using it on a PC, so those programs should work. Make sure that you need your own copy of windows to use boot camp.

2) Parallels Desktop ($79.99)
-Parallels Desktop is a program that allows you to run Windows virtually, and simultaneously with OS X. What this means is that, you run Windows, inside a window, in your Mac Desktop. There are also cool features associated with it, like the ability to set windows to full screen an switch desktops with the push of a button, and completely eliminating the Windows desktop and using your windows apps directly onto your mac desktop. Make sure that you need your own copy of windows in order to use parallels, and that parallels currently does not support hardware graphics acceleration, therefore you are unable to run programs with intense 3-D graphics through parallels.

3) CrossoverMac (Free for Beta Testing)
-CrossoverMac is a program under development that allows you to install run Windows apps natively in Mac OS X. It is only beta, though, and not all programs work with it, although counter-strike: source IS one of the programs that works.

So for the 3-4 programs that you want to use, you can pretty much use them in Boot-Camp and Parallels. As for Counter-Strike, Boot Camp and Crossover will work for those.

Reaction score
Ninja,
you forgot VMWare Fusion,which is free for Beta Test

anyway, i also recently switched to Mac. For major software, there is usually a Mac version, so seriously it shouldn't be a worry

Also, if there is really no Mac alternative and you really need to run the program, you can always use Bootcamp or Parallels, though if u are using an emulation program, it can lag your com esp, if your software is memory intensive..

You can do what I do:
Work on my Mac (Office for Mac 2004,Adobe CS3 Web) and Play(CNC3) on my Bootcamp windows machine

Reaction score
Also, I'd like to add that descriptive thread titles increase your chance of being helped and decrease chances of people coming here who cannot help at all...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.