need desperate printer help

Reaction score
Hi i own a Imac 20 inch, just bought 2 weeks ago. and a Epson R1800 printer.

what happened:
i connected the prinbter and hoped for it to work, it didnt
i d/l the driver from epson, and then it just sat there on me desktop
after mailing epson with the question where to put it they replied just install it.
i tried but couldnt.
fed up i searched forums etc....

then.....i downloaded the gutenprint drivers for printers, oh man! it works! great, yeah right thjink again, most options are not accessible it doesnt allow me to print borderless ectect....

i then installed the printer from the supplied discs, which also didnt work.

now i am trying to find out how to get my printers folders back to where they originally were. for some reason the gutenpring uninstaller doesnt work.

any tips how to get my mac printer folders back to original? after that i will d/l the printer driver again and try putting it in printers/libraries/Epson and see if that helps.

help?

Reaction score
What OS version are you running. Just drag whatever you want uninstalled to the trash and delete it. I'd uninstall the lot and start fresh. So if you are worried about deleting important files, just create a new folder on the Desktop and name it what you like and then do a SpotLight search for anything with Epson or Gutenprint in the name and remove the files to the newly created folder.

I'm surprised your printer gave you problems as my iMac recognised my Canon much easier than my PC did. You should be able to just plug your printer in and start using it more or less straight away ... in theory anyway.

If your printer does not appear in the Printer pop-up menu, find and install the appropriate driver. Check any CD-ROM discs included with the printer, or the website of your printer's manufacturer. Only users with an administrator account can install software.

This is in Finder Help and I'm wondering if these are the initial steps you took?

OP
N
Reaction score
hi i use Mac os X 10.4.9

question, if i copy and paste the whole epson directory ffrom printers/libraries/epson to the new folder on the desktop, and then delete the original folder contents, will the computer then not "see" the drivers as just relocated?

btw strange enough i cant see any gutenpring drivers at all when i search, but when i want to set up my printer it shows me only gutenprint drivers when iu need to select my model.

Reaction score
hi i use Mac os X 10.4.9

question, if i copy and paste the whole epson directory ffrom printers/libraries/epson to the new folder on the desktop, and then delete the original folder contents, will the computer then not "see" the drivers as just relocated?

btw strange enough i cant see any gutenpring drivers at all when i search, but when i want to set up my printer it shows me only gutenprint drivers when iu need to select my model.

I think you meant to say:

Macintosh HD -> Libraries -> Printers -> epson

I would drag the folder to a new folder on your Desktop for future deletion when this is solved. I recommend a fresh start as these files need to be in the proper location for everything to function correctly. The reason I'm asking you to relocate them is just in case we need to put them back.

Also have a look in:

Macintosh HD -> Libraries -> Receipts

There might be a .pkg their to do with your Printer and maybe gutenprint.

If you Control/Right-Click on the .pkg and select "Show Package Contents", have a look around the folder that opens and then you'll see that everything that's needed, ie: drivers, is within that package.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
Silly question ...Is Gutenprint made for Intel Mac's ? I can't seem to see it mentioned on their hompage... Or is it not important with drivers ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.