Windows Internet Faster than OS X Internet... ???

Reaction score
so im neither mac fanboy or pc fanboy, i have both. and i run bootcamp on my macbook pro. Both are practically the same to me for day to day use just osX looks sexier. both crash about the same too! but anyway...

so i noticed when i use any web browser in windows (running bootcamp), webpages load much faster than when im using osX. Specifically images and text boxes such as the one im typing in now. I typically run firefox for both sides, and since its the same computer, i dont understand how i get different speeds? wifi is coming from the same router... any explanations? anyone else experience the same?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1024mb RAM, 32mb GFX Card, Tiger, Mac Mini
Do you use the same browser in both OS's?
Opera apparently is the fastest browser followed by Firefox.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
I guess windows just crashes...no mtter whether it is via botcamp or straight windows machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
the last time i tried Camino it loaded pages pretty fast. we have bootcamp on the wife's MB CD but we never use it, so o really cant tell if either are faster at loading webpages.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
so im neither mac fanboy or pc fanboy, i have both. and i run bootcamp on my macbook pro. Both are practically the same to me for day to day use just osX looks sexier. both crash about the same too! but anyway...

so i noticed when i use any web browser in windows (running bootcamp), webpages load much faster than when im using osX. Specifically images and text boxes such as the one im typing in now. I typically run firefox for both sides, and since its the same computer, i dont understand how i get different speeds? wifi is coming from the same router... any explanations? anyone else experience the same?

The only fair test is the same browser on different OSes with the same settings. Images are typically cached, if one browser has better caching, a larger cache or different settings then the speed will be different.

Some browsers check for a new version of the image based on date and then show a cached version if the dates match.

Personally I use Firefox and it flies on this Macbook.

If you have a weak graphics card and the eyecandy is high on OSX but low on Windows then Windows will be faster.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB
I have Firefox on my G4 and it performs like an arthritic sloth.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33Ghz Core2Duo, 2Gb Ram, 120Gb HardDisk, X1600 256Mb & I LOVE Every Inch of her
that's the function of windows isn't it?

I guess windows just crashes...no mtter whether it is via botcamp or straight windows machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4, 1.5GB RAM, 1.42Ghz, 14"
I have Firefox on my G4 and it performs like an arthritic sloth.

LOL! :eek:

I tried Firefox just to see what all the hype was about, and I hate that idiotic, hideous, slow, under-thought, stupid browser! :tusks:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4

I tried Firefox just to see what all the hype was about, and I hate that idiotic, hideous, slow, under-thought, stupid browser! :tusks:

Poop! I have firefox on my macbook and it is two seconds faster then safari on every web page. And yeah I timed it because I'm an uber geek with to much time. So somethings got to be up with your gear. Just as a side note I prefer safari because I'm hardcore Apple like that.

As for the original topic, excuse my ignorance, I just know how to fix computers, but I thought other browsers like safari and firefox had to work a little harder at rendering because most websites are set up for Microsoft and internet explorer. Thus this could make them slower and sometimes the content jumbled.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Poop! I have firefox on my macbook and it is two seconds faster then safari on every web page. And yeah I timed it because I'm an uber geek with to much time. So somethings got to be up with your gear. Just as a side note I prefer safari because I'm hardcore Apple like that.

They say admitting you have a problem is the first step....;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600

Firefox is slower than the competition, but i like it because it has spell check in forms, performas an automatic google search in the address bar, has a customizable search bar next to it (which i use for wikipedia), has a real-time, in-page text search, and a slew of helpfull add-ons you can download for free.

I think thats worth waiting a second more to load pages.

Currently though, im using safari because its faster, uses less resources, and doesnt maximize to fill the whole screen, just enough to show the page.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just to let you know, Safari has full Spellcheck when typing in boxes. I am using it right here while typing this to you. When typing in Safari, click Edit, Spelling and click on Check Spelling as You Type. It will hi-light spelling errors. You can also his APPLE-SHIFT-Colon and the spell check will pop up.

Safari has full search that works for me like Firefox. Either go Edit Find of Apple-F. Searches the whole page you are on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Safari has full search that works for me like Firefox. Either go Edit Find of Apple-F. Searches the whole page you are on.

I know about the text search, its always command+f on any browser, but on firefox, a toolbar appears on the bottom, and it searches for the words in real time as you type, also, pressing enter searches for the next word, wile in safari, it closes the window that pops up, you have to click on safari. I find firefox more efficient.

As for the spelling, thanks for the tip!
why are all the features in safari deactivated? just like the tabbed browsing?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I know about the text search, its always command+f on any browser, but on firefox, a toolbar appears on the bottom, and it searches for the words in real time as you type, also, pressing enter searches for the next word, wile in safari, it closes the window that pops up, you have to click on safari. I find firefox more efficient.

As for the spelling, thanks for the tip!
why are all the features in safari deactivated? just like the tabbed browsing?

But if you hit Apple-G it continues with the search.

Not sure on why Stock Safari has Tabs and Spelling turned off. Maybe they felt the average user would want it that way. Just a guess.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But if you hit Apple-G it continues with the search.

Not sure on why Stock Safari has Tabs and Spelling turned off. Maybe they felt the average user would want it that way. Just a guess.

Thanks dtravis7! I didn't know about the command+g thing, but i still think its more efficient in Firefox because of the toolbar thing, and people (well at least recent switchers) are more inclined to hit enter instead of command+g.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks dtravis7! I didn't know about the command+g thing, but i still think its more efficient in Firefox because of the toolbar thing, and people (well at least recent switchers) are more inclined to hit enter instead of command+g.

I can understand that. Just wanted to be sure you and others knew it was there just in case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can understand that. Just wanted to be sure you and others knew it was there just in case.

Yeah, its helpful, I've been trying to switch over to safari mainly because its faster, renders pages nicely, and doesn't use as much ram as Firefox. Im still a Mac Noob, and I'm trying to get more aquatinted with shortcuts.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.