Reputation System currently Disabled

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Until further notice, the Mac-Forums reputation system has been disabled. When we are ready to reactivate the system, we will post here to announce when that will occur.

We have taken these steps for several reasons:

- A growing issue with rep system abuse
- An unhealthy, obsessive focus that has started to build around the rep system
- An increasing problem with people leaving inappropriate feedback with the rep points

Overall the rep system has lost the innocence and altruistic purpose for which we instituted the program to begin with. Our hope is that temporarily removing the feature, it will give everyone time to adjust and allow the system to function as it was intended.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
yeah that happens i guess.

good bye green dots!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
+rep to schweb!

oh, wait...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Schweb, I think you guys did the right thing for now. It was going a bit far and way too much focus put on the system. Good decision.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I agree, I think the system is good gone as it is now.

although the screen looks a little funky with out the dots... we need to put something there. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
i just hope that post count and member since dates dont become something we measure validity of posts by

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
or subtitles! ;)

M

MacHeadCase

Ooh! Yeah!
icon14.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
if/when the rep comes back, will we all start fresh or pick up where we left off?

Reaction score
How about a faux rep system? We could just design the number of green dots we each have - that way we could impress others!! hehehe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
I won't miss the dots, but I enjoyed the little 'private' commentary! (I know Mods could see)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
I knew this was going to happen. However, can we have the post count system back? it seems so weird without lil' green dots

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The pst count is still on. The green dots were rep...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes - but before MF had the Rep System, wasn't there some type of dots for post count? or have I lost my mind/had a kernel panic and need to be restarted?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
your rep score was what determined how many green dots you had.

post count had nothing to do with it, and it's still lodged firmly between your location and your mac's specs. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It should be interesting as to how the lack of the rep system impacts attitudes. If nothing else, it kept a lot of folks in check, which is why I was fond of it. I've said it before, I know, but this has got to be one of the friendliest forums I've ever frequented - and I think a lot of that can be attributed to the rep system. People wanted to have those green dots. It might have been nothing more than psychological, but you saw very little flaming - especially of noobs, asking questions that had been asked time and again.

I know a lot of people get aggravated by that, but there's nothing more unwelcoming for a new member than to be shot down when asking your very first question - even if you unintentionally committed a faux pas by not searching first. I truly hope our normal sense of community lives on without the rep system.

Either way, I trust the mods on this forum to keep it a nice place to be - it is well moderated. I've always enjoyed my time here - even when I didn't know what the rep system was.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
It should be interesting as to how the lack of the rep system impacts attitudes. If nothing else, it kept a lot of folks in check, which is why I was fond of it. I've said it before, I know, but this has got to be one of the friendliest forums I've ever frequented - and I think a lot of that can be attributed to the rep system. People wanted to have those green dots. It might have been nothing more than psychological, but you saw very little flaming - especially of noobs, asking questions that had been asked time and again.

I know a lot of people get aggravated by that, but there's nothing more unwelcoming for a new member than to be shot down when asking your very first question - even if you unintentionally committed a faux pas by not searching first. I truly hope our normal sense of community lives on without the rep system.

Either way, I trust the mods on this forum to keep it a nice place to be - it is well moderated. I've always enjoyed my time here - even when I didn't know what the rep system was.

you have a great point.. It will be interesting to see if that "friendly forum" attitude will last.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
+virtual rep cwa.

brilliant as always.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.