Additional monitor question for imac

Reaction score
On my current Windows set up I have two monitors that don't get used at the same time but I switch from one to the other depending on what I am doing. The monitor I have now is not USB, it is the old style plug (I don't know what it is called. I will soon be buying a 20" imac and have these questions.

1. Can I switch from the imac screen to an alternate monitor?

2. If I can use an alternate monitor can I use my old one that is non USB? Is there an adapter I can buy to hook it up to the imac?

Thanks

Reaction score
1. Yes you can switch between the 2 monitors (the internal and external), or even have them both displaying the same thing (mirroring).

2. The video signal is not caried over USB, it is caried over either VGA or DVI.

OP
M
Reaction score
2. The video signal is not caried over USB, it is caried over either VGA or DVI.
Does that mean I can connect this monitor I have with an adapter? I say adapter because I didn't see a plug on the imac that looks like the one I plug my monitor on my PC into..

Reaction score
Does that mean I can connect this monitor I have with an adapter? I say adapter because I didn't see a plug on the imac that looks like the one I plug my monitor on my PC into..
Yes, you would need to buy either a mini-dvi to vga or a mini-dvi to dvi.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Yes, you would need to buy either a mini-dvi to vga or a mini-dvi to dvi.

Both of which are about $20 from Apple, if one didn't come with your Mac.

I'm not sure about turning off the internal, though. Mirroring, sure; turning off the backlight, sure, but actually shutting it off?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.