• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Adobe liberates Flex source code

M

MacHeadCase

Ok... Not terribly sure where to post this... It isn't Apple news. It isn't only about web use either. And it has more to do with people's opinions... So sorry to the mods (and more specifically DB... LOL)! If this is posted in the wrong forum and would appreciate if it was moved to its proper place. So here goes...

I just caught this article off of Ars Technica Adobe liberates Flex source code.

Adobe revealed plans today to release the source code of the Flex SDK and compiler under the Mozilla Public License (MPL). Flex—a cross-platform compatible framework for developing interactive Flash applications with XML and ActionScript—allows developers to construct Flash programs using idioms that are less overtly media-oriented and better suited for conventional software development.

Availability of the source code, which will make it possible for independent developers to modify and improve Flex, could potentially cause a community of third-party contributors to emerge around the platform. Source code availability will also make it easier for third parties to incorporate Flex support into existing development tools or build new tools based on Flex components.

I wonder if this is a good thing? Looks like nowadays, choices are either Micro$oft, Adobe or Google...

I remember when M$ was working on Longhorn/Vista about 2 and a half years ago that they were criticized because they wanted to make their own version of XML in the OS and it would also be tied in future Office releases, IE, etc. I wonder if this Adobe decision is to counter IE's use of XML or if it has nothing to do with this...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.