Help with Initial Install

Reaction score
Hey all... sorry if this has been covered I searched but couldn't find my topic.

So here I am, a newbie with boot camp. After a two weeks with my new Mac Pro I have decided to test out Vista or XP performance with bootcamp..

the problem: my screen instantly loses a signal when trying to install.

I have figured out how to hold down option and look at my boot devices but when i try to install either vista or xp the screen goes black (i lose my signal connection).

i have the ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB video card and i have a feeling it just doesnt have drivers when trying to do the initial install. has anyone else had this problem?

i feel like i should try and pre-install windows gfx drivers.. is that possible? any help would be great as i would love to test bootcamp.

sum it up: can not even see the first install screen for vista or xp. any one out there to help a newbie?

Reaction score
I can't be a driver issue, as no drivers would have kicked in at that stage. Does the monitor go into standby? How long do you wait after the screen goes blank?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I had the same problem when I first tried Bootcamp. I eventually just deleted the partition and reinstalled. It worked fine after that. It may just be a hiccup in the install process.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4, 1.07Ghz, 768 MB / iPod Video / Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz
I had the same problem when I first tried Bootcamp. I eventually just deleted the partition and reinstalled. It worked fine after that. It may just be a hiccup in the install process.

it worked exactly the same way for me also. (thanks for the suggestion btw! ;P )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4, 1.07Ghz, 768 MB / iPod Video / Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz
it worked exactly the same way for me also. (thanks for the suggestion btw! ;P )

I just noticed the date on the post before mine. :Smirk:

OP
L
Reaction score
so, if anyone is interested i knowing.. the problem was my screen resolution size. on osx i was running 1440x900 .. and the install of vista/xp wants a smaller resolution. i dropped it to 800x600 before launching the installer, and walla, it worked.

i know, almost 1 year later.. but hey, better late than never

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.