• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

"MIME" file missing so unable to play video (What does that mean?)

Reaction score
I bought a macbook (black) and still getting used to using one. I'm trying to stream some videos, however unable to because it says im missing "MIME" So unable to play. Is this some sort of program from windows?!?? Please advise at your convenience...thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
I believe it is to do with RealPlayer

Not certain...try a search

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
It means you have to install that MIME type on your Apache web server. It's not a program

Reaction score
I'm trying to stream some videos, however unable to because it says im missing "MIME" So unable to play. Is this some sort of program from windows?!??
MIME is an acronym for "multimedia internet message extensions," plugins that extend the capabilities of your browser. In this case, you need a MIME that will allow the browser to play certain streaming content.

Among other plugins, you might need RealPlayer's. You can download RealPlayer free here. The free version is under the blue button at the top right of the web page. Installing RealPlayer installs the plugin.

Another plugin you might need is Windows Media Player's. Microsoft has dropped its support for Mac, but a plugin called Flip4Mac takes its place. Flip4Mac plays Windows Media files through QuickTime. You can download it here.

Yet another is for Flash. You can download it here.

There are others, as well.

Internet plugins should be in one of the two Internet Plug-ins folders. One of these folders is in your own Library folder. If you put them there, they won't work for anyone else who logs into the Mac as a different user.

The other Internet Plug-ins folder is in the drive's Library folder. If you put the plug-ins in there, they'll work for any user with a different log-in than yours.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Oh... I was looking at the wrong side of the problem! I think.
Justincredible said he's "trying to stream some videos". Doesn't that mean he's trying to be the source?? Perhaps he meant to say "trying to watch some streaming videos". Perhaps I am talking to myself again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.