Aaarrrgghhh!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20, Intel Dual Core 2.3GHz, 1Gb RAM, 256Mb Video; G4 tower 444Mhz w/ 1G RAM, 2x G3 towers
Ok, so I've been living with a 444MHz G4 and a dumpy pieced-together 1.8GHz AMD PC w/ 128Mb video, and I've been trying to get Half-Life 2: Episode 1 to work on super-low-Doom-original kind of graphics with every unnecessary process in XP turned off or erased and I've been losing hair and sleep in the process with no success of any kind...

Then the iMac lands on my desk. 2.16Ghz Intel Dual Core awesomenissity!! 1Gb of RAM and the 256Mb video upgrade. Then I find BootCamp... *waaahh (heavenly sound)* XP loaded... cleaned it down as much as i could (habit) installed HL2:E1... :D *where's that drool icon* oh yeah, ooh, uh-oh, uh-huh, Hey, Woah, NO WAY, WOAH, GOTTA GET., AH, ICK, EEE, WAH , WOAH, Hey, hoo, ha, wow... hey wait... what? that's it? after all that, that's it?!!! feeling like Luke - NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

*wiping away the tears, as I glint over to F.E.A.R. and S.T.A.L.K.E.R.*
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :

Thank you, Mr Apple, sir, for BootCamp!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
stupidchart.jpg

:)

Congrats on your new Mac, I should be getting one in a week or so!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15.4", Core Duo 2.16ghz, 2gig of RAM
A 1.8ghz computer couldn't play Half Life? It's within spec though:

Official Half-Life 2 Box minimum specs:

* Processor: 1.2 GHz Processor
* Graphic card: DirectX 7 level graphics card
* Hard Drive: 4.5 GB
* Memory: 256 MB RAM
* Other: Internet Connection, DVD-ROM Drive

I play Flatout 2 on a comp with a 1.38ghz Athlon XP, 832mb, of RAM, and a 256mb Radeon 9250 and it runs perfectly fine on full settings on a 1024x768 resolution. How much RAM does that desktop comp have?

OP
DaYCEnt
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20, Intel Dual Core 2.3GHz, 1Gb RAM, 256Mb Video; G4 tower 444Mhz w/ 1G RAM, 2x G3 towers
The PC was put together with parts i found lying around when we cleaned out the house when my father-in-law passed away. half of them everything was burned out or something wrong. I still don't know why i had so many problems with that comp. if you went by the factory specs for all the parts on there, that sucker should fly like the wind... but it didn't... i dunno.

just to give you an idea, both G4 and PC had 1Gb RAM, and at 444MHz, the G4 outran the 1.8Ghz PC....

I play Flatout 2 on a comp with a 1.38ghz Athlon XP, 832mb...
and just for clarification, i WAS playing on the PC, those days are OVER!!! HALLELUJIAH!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, I suppose it could have been a sketchy drive, a weak PSU or bad RAM then if it was made of leftovers. I have built a lot my computers that way and those seem to be the common speed robbers (and what end up getting replaced with newer parts) but in the end the result is a good/decent performing computer for a low price; my aforementioned computer cost about $200, but I have customized it more and more over the years so I am sure by now it has about $350 in it. That iMac sounds like it serves you quite well as a gaming rig anyway; I would love to bootcamp my MBP but I might either wait until Leopard when it's part of the OS or I might build a new desktop computer in the coming months. Anyway, have fun with your new setup!

OP
DaYCEnt
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i'm trying to figure a way that i can use that old PC as extra HD space until i can afford that 1.5Tb drive. it works great with an ethernet connection, but i don't have airport yet, and my internet is on the only ethernet portal on the iMac. maybe i've got a firewire somewhere that i can connect the two...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you don't intend to use the computer anymore, you always can remove the internal HDD and install it in an external enclosure that you can connect via firewire or usb, then reformat with disk utility.

OP
DaYCEnt
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you don't intend to use the computer anymore, you always can remove the internal HDD and install it in an external enclosure that you can connect via firewire or usb, then reformat with disk utility.
i was just thinking about that the other day. will the external case need a power supply? do they come with it? any recommendations??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey, yeah external enclosures do come with power supplies if they need them (typically any that are meant for 3.5" desktop drives will need them). I assume the drive in your desktop comp right now is an IDE drive, so one of these should work:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817146307
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817145133
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817145378

Those are just a few examples from newegg.com; they sell a lot of different varieties. Good luck!

OP
DaYCEnt
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
most awesome recommendations!! thank you much! gives me something to think about.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.