Basic ipod question

Reaction score
New to iphoto, so please be nice!!
What is the best way to save the photo's in my iphoto to an external hard drive, and will this keep them filed under the iphoto dated folders? so i can then delete them from my mac HD, And then drag them back into iphoto for when needed...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
New to iphoto, so please be nice!!
What is the best way to save the photo's in my iphoto to an external hard drive, and will this keep them filed under the iphoto dated folders? so i can then delete them from my mac HD, And then drag them back into iphoto for when needed...

There are several ways to do this. Firstly you could export all the images to the external drive then add this folder to the library, then you can delete the originals on the local HDD.

Alternatively you could copy your iPhoto library folder to the external HDD and then delete the contents of the original, making sure you import the new library (as iPhoto won't know where to look by default).

There may be an easier way, but those options come to mind right now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.