Airport + Wireless PC

A

Ashcrow

I'm pulling out my hair over this! I have my airport extreme base station working with my Powerbook perfectly but I want to add support for an older PC I have using a Siemens External USB Wireless Adapter. The thing is the adapter does connect but doesn't get an IP address whatsoever while the Powerbook quickly and easily is able to get an IP. This is the setup ...

Cable Modem ----------> Cable Router/Switch ---------------------------> Airport Base Station ****
(Gets 1 Address) ------> (Gets the 1 address, gives local IPs via DHCP)-> (Shares 1 IP .. default)

The PC hardware is set up correctly but I am wondering if there is something that I am forgetting with the base station. Help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Is DHCP setup to give out more than one IP? Can you set up the PC with a static and get out with that? I guess the first thing to do is make sure that your networking on the PC is connected, hence the static IP.

OP
A

Ashcrow

Originally posted by Emrys@May 4 2003, 10:01 AM
Is DHCP setup to give out more than one IP? Can you set up the PC with a static and get out with that? I guess the first thing to do is make sure that your networking on the PC is connected, hence the static IP.
The Router/Switch is set to give out multiple 192.168.0.* addresses. The wireless airport station is at the default share one IP with all connections. Oddly enough the airport wants to get 10.0.1.x address and gives out 10.0.1.2 to my powerbook while nothing to my PC.

Even with a static 192.168.0.* address the PC can not access the network other than sending packets with no returns. A static 10.0.1.x address yeilds the same results.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.