• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Camcorder Recommendation

Reaction score
I am in a market for a new camcorder. I would like to get one that has a firewire connection so I could record it to iMovie. Any suggestions? I have my old Sony camcorder, but only USB connection :D

Thank you.

Reaction score
First, what is your budget? I have the Panisonic PVGS500, and I really love it! It is around $900 USD. Are you looking at HD? a Hard drive camcorder? mini-dv (tape)?

GWR

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac C2D - PB G4 - iBook G4 - iMac G3 DV SE
I'll kind of second that.
I've had a Panasonic PV-GS250 for a couple of years. Great camcorder.
I'll be "upgrading" to the PV-GS500 soon as my wife stole the 250.

OP
Gcane93
Reaction score
First, what is your budget? I have the Panisonic PVGS500, and I really love it! It is around $900 USD. Are you looking at HD? a Hard drive camcorder? mini-dv (tape)?

Budget between $600 - $700 and looking for Mini-DV. Currently I have a Sony cam Mini DV and it has i.Link interface. Is that the same as Firewire? and can I use to transfer the movie via 4 pin to 6 pin?

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 GHz MBP, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD
The i.Link is the same as firewire. I have a Panasonic PV-GS80 that I use to to make short movies with my friends and it is not HD, but it is good for a BS movie camera.To put it into iMovie I use a 4pin to a 6pin cable that works just fine.

OP
Gcane93
Reaction score
The i.Link is the same as firewire. I have a Panasonic PV-GS80 that I use to to make short movies with my friends and it is not HD, but it is good for a BS movie camera.To put it into iMovie I use a 4pin to a 6pin cable that works just fine.

Great! Thank you for the info. Now I just have to go to apple store and get the fireware cable and hope my Sony is PnP and don't have to install any drivers. I lost the CD that came with it.

OP
Gcane93
Reaction score
Sony DCR-TRV17E PAL MiniDV

I finally got the firewire cable (1394), 4 pin to 6 pin from the Apple store for $30.00. When I got home I plugged the cable, turn on the camcorder and open iMovie and VOILA...!:eek: it opens and all I have to do is click the "import" button. It imported per clip at the time, that was too cool! My advise don't bother with the USB cable. Get Firewire and driver is not required.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 GHz MBP, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD
I do agree with the firewire over USB remark. I also have an Apple firewire 4pin to 6pin cable, and I have no clue where I got it from. I have a file drawer that is full of system disks, source disks, and manuals that I found it in.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.