• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Region Free DVD Burning

Reaction score
I'm in college and me and some people are making a good bye dvd for some of the exchange students here. We're gathering photos in iphoto, then sharing it to iDVD to burn the slideshow.

Yet someone pointed out that they won't be able to watch it cause their DVD players and computers are Region 2, whereas I would be burning in Region 1.

Anyway to get around this? Thanks!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I don't believe that iDVD uses region codes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
You won't run into an issue with regions, but you will run into issues if you're sending the DVDs to people in countries that use PAL vs. NTSC.

See this article on Apple's site for more details.

Reaction score
Your best bet is to not burn it to a DVD to be played in a regular DVD player, but to burn it as an .avi or .mpeg

This way they can watch it on any computer, and nowadays most DVD players play these types of files as well.

GOOD LUCK!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.