• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Need a software for Mac that can convert between almost all formats!

Reaction score
I have many media devices, e.g. ipod, mobile phone, Pocket PC, PSP, XBOX360,I often need to play various videos using them to do testing, but u know, these devices support different file formats, i’m tired of searching for various different files here and there, I do hope there is a software that can convert between almost all formats like MOV, AVI, WMV, MPEG1/2/4, 3GP, ASF, MP4, MP2, MP3, WMA, OGG, AAC, M4A, WAV and AC3 etc. I know there’re many such software under Windows, but could someone recommend me such a program for Mac, no matter shareware or freeware. Any help appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
Have a look in the search section. There will be heaps of info there for you.
I use mediafork, handbrake and mactheripper for getting file off DVD and converting. You can also do limited things with quicktime and the like.

Oh and Hello Rubie...Welcome!!

Reaction score
Hi rubie, welcome to Mac-Forums! As MaDDoG points out, the Search feature will be the first port of call as there has been a plethora of threads created on the subject of format conversion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
ffmpegx is very good

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
search - as others have said. and welcome to the forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
mpeg streamclip

try out mpeg streamclip (do a search in google for the website)

it can convert to many formats and its free

Reaction score
Apple TV was supposed to do the work, but unfortunately it could not..
hmm,back to the topic, there is a lot of softwares that will do the work for you, but most of them need to be paid for using with full function..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.