• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Im balding! Any tips?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
I am 20 and I have a receding hairline, a bald spot, and my hair is getting thinner and weaker.

Any tips? I am thinking either just deal with it or start shaving the hair real short...or try something stupid like shampoos or herbal things.

UGH!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Accept it. I was as bald as Capt. Picard by age 30. Besides, you know what they say about bald men...

Reaction score
Besides, you know what they say about bald men...

Yes. "They're bald."

If I ever started to lose my hair, I think I'd go the shaved head route. Rather be in control of the situation than let my hair follicles call the shots!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Yes. "They're bald."

Yep.

If I ever started to lose my hair, I think I'd go the shaved head route. Rather be in control of the situation than let my hair follicles call the shots!

That's what I did. Just keep it trimmed to 1mm.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Some guys are lucky and actually look ok bald. Others, like myself when I do, do not. :(

Reaction score
Shave it!!!
Nothing more off putting for a lady - like what I am - than a comb over.
Except maybe socks and sandals and a guide to trainspotting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.0 ghz core duo 2. 2gb ram ddr2, 60gb hard drive, superdrive. ipod video 30gb. Iphone
theres shampoos you can get. there are pills you can get from the doctors increasing the amount of iron content in your body which is a reason your hair becomes thin and you start go bald at a young age. Your 20!!!!! get a hip hairstyle. Mohawk?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
theres shampoos you can get. there are pills you can get from the doctors increasing the amount of iron content in your body which is a reason your hair becomes thin and you start go bald at a young age. Your 20!!!!! get a hip hairstyle. Mohawk?

Actually, the reason why you start losing hair is an increase in DHT, which attacks hair follicles. All prescription medication does is to decrease the levels of DHT in your body, which prevents hair loss. I believe you have to combine this with a topical treatment to get the destroyed hair follicles to come back.

Surgery is always an option ;)

OP
skye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Shave it!!!
Nothing more off putting for a lady - like what I am - than a comb over.
Except maybe socks and sandals and a guide to trainspotting.

i wear socks with my sandals because i have tender feet but i also love sandals.

OP
skye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Now I feel bad - :(
Seriously though, shaved heads are THE way to go. Just be glad it isn't the 80's and you want a Flock of Seagulls 'do.

[/giving my age away]

Reaction score
Whatever you do, don't blame your dad. According to the linked article, it's your mother's fault.
The fact that it seems that men in families often have many generations of bald men tend to make this explanation of [sic] hard to believe, yet genetics explain it.
Here's another.
Researchers have found that the main construction manual for a full head of hair is located on the X chromosome, which sons always inherit from their mothers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
That's good news for me as all the men (as far as I know) on my mother's side keep their hair my father's side isn't so lucky. I've noticed my forehead has gotten a bit bigger in the past few years.

Reaction score
Now I feel bad - :(

So the cruel streak finally comes out ...

Seriously though, shaved heads are THE way to go. Just be glad it isn't the 80's and you want a Flock of Seagulls 'do.

What, you don't think this is a good look?

images

Reaction score
hey i started losing mine around 28, i tried everything bedsides surgery.
i was a 80's long haired head banger at that.

last year i started shaving it, guess what women love it..
id never believed it, but they do.

Reaction score
As an authority on the subject (notice my name) I tried everything including hair weaves until I finally came to the conclusion that WAS bald and I just needed to live with it. I know the battle you are going thru - I started losing mine in high school. Only thing you might try (if you can afford it) is hair transplant. It is expensive but it uses your own hair and the few cases I have heard of, it appears to work. Hair weaves are the next level I think but they are expensive because they have to be tightened regularly as your hair grows out. You have my sympathy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
I read somewhere that using a mac will cause sudden hair loss...

Just kidding :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Meh, bald guys look wise.

I say rock the horseshoe.

Reaction score
Not making light in the least... but I have to laugh at the lack of iron in the blood comment, I always thought it had something to do with an excess of DHT?

I do know that creams such as rogaine only work for certain patterns of baldness. I would talk with a doctor, there are prescription medications to help retard it...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.