A Couple Questions from a Very Recent Switcher

Reaction score
My first question is this: I have a folder in my Macintosh HD (on the same level as Applications and System) titled "97300". What is this? I deleted it and it came back after a while. Could it have anything to do with the message about smart crash notifications (or something like that) that I sometimes get when I boot?

Also, something a bit more serious: I wanted to copy a DVD to my hard drive, so I tried to do so by copying the TS_VIDEO folder from the disc to my movies folder. However, after a short while it froze and I can't stop the copy. The only thing I can think to do is shut down and restart, which is what I'm about to do. So my question is why does this happen and what can I do to avoid this? Also, are there any faster utilities for copying discs to the HDD than this basic way?

EDIT: I'm pretty sure the answer to my second question is that its a dirty/damaged disc. I tried again and it does the same thing in the same spot. I press Stop Copy and it eventually stops. Eventually.

Thanks,
Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
You're best off getting an application like Handbrake, Mac the Ripper, or something similar to copy DVD's. Don't just try and drag the files into your machine.

I'm not sure what that folder is, I don't see it on my machine. Sorry I can't be any help there.

-Nick

OP
I
Reaction score
I tried Handbrake, but found that it the only option is to convert the files to .mp4 or .avi or somesuch format. I just want to have the TS_VIDEO directories on my HDD so I can play them like DVDs with VLC. At least in my experience, you can get the full quality of the disc content for less space usage than a comparable-quality .mp4 or .avi.

So, any utilities for importing the TS_VIDEO directories in a better way than dragging and dropping?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
As fiveightandten mentioned, check out Mac the Ripper. It will do essentially what you want.

Also, if you just want to watch the movies on your Mac, then I really think you should give Handbrake another chance. No point in wasting 8GB of space for a single movie when you will barely notice the difference with a 1GB version that Handbrake can produce. Unless you plan on backing up the DVD, there's really no reason to have the entire disc on your hard drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
I tried Handbrake, but found that it the only option is to convert the files to .mp4 or .avi or somesuch format. I just want to have the TS_VIDEO directories on my HDD so I can play them like DVDs with VLC. At least in my experience, you can get the full quality of the disc content for less space usage than a comparable-quality .mp4 or .avi.

So, any utilities for importing the TS_VIDEO directories in a better way than dragging and dropping?

Mac the Ripper...this is exactly what it does. The files are very large though. For instance, I ripped a Family Guy DVD onto my machine tonight and one DVD with 7 20 minute episodes (about equal to a full length movie) took up close to 8 gigs. If I did all 4 DVD's for season 1, it would probably take up over 30GB of space. If I remember right a typical full length movie will take up 8 to 13 gigs. It's a novel idea, but it eats up drive space real fast.

Handbrake does a good job of compressing them. But the process isn't fast by any means...ripping or compressing.

Hope that helps.

-Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.