• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

DVD Ripping

Reaction score
This is probably a repeat question but I was wondering if there is any program that can rip a DVD to my hard drive and make it to where I can play the DVD right from the hard drive. I have MacTheRipper but it separates all the files into chapters and such. I just want to be able to play it straight from the hard drive like a Quicktime movie or something. I appreciate any info.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
Use HandBrake to convert it to a File that's easier to play.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Welcome to Mac-Forums JBannister!

MacTheRipper creates a TS_Folder... just drag that folder into VLC and you can watch the film without problem. It will play on your Mac no different than the DVD plays on a DVD player.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
dont need VLC to do this:

open dvd player, go to file: open dvd media: find your video ts folder and open it
-chris

OP
J
Reaction score
Awesome I appreciate the 411. Another question my roomate wants to use a clip from a movie in his presentation but how do I extract a clip from it using iMovie or something like that.

OP
J
Reaction score
When I go to freemacware.com clip creator 2 isn't one of the programs that is found on their site. Any other ideas?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.