installation

Reaction score
hi
im new in mac (just got a macbook) and i tryed to install messenger so i downloaded the installation file from www.msn.com but when it were downloaded i clicked it and it asked me what program i wanted to use the file with (like windows does when it doesnt know what it is) so i couldn't install messenger...
moving on... i then tryed installing diablo 2 (lovely game:D) and then it said that this version of mac didn't supported it:( and i got my mac 2 days earlier
(for those who doesn't know on the cover of diable 2 theres written "mac" next to the "pc" indicating that it should work with mac...
moving on... i also tryed to put a cd in where there should be some usefull programs on it (antivirus and other software) and it said the same thing as with the messenger...

is it just my mac theres the problem or have you tryed it too? if you have plz help me through this im thinking on installing windows to help but it also says the same thing as with messenger when i placed the cd in the mac...
:(:(:(:( plz help me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
Hey there pelvark welcome to mac-forums!

Diablo wont work on the new Intel macs using the CDs. I think someone may have made a patch but im not sure.

As for the other programs. Just making sure, are you downloading the Mac OSX version or are you downloading .exe files that windows uses?

OSX doesnt support .exe, and so It wont know what to do with them when you try and run them.

~~ TS ~~

OP
P
Reaction score
ok i did not know that but where do i find the mac version because theres no link for downloading them

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well to be honest with you antivirus isnt needed on mac at the moment so i wouldnt worry.

Other software? Give us an idea of what your looking for and im sure we can help you.

For instance look at Neo-office for all your office needs.

Adium is a good msn client for mac

Give us more details and we will see what we can do!

~~ TS ~~

OP
P
Reaction score
thx i really want msn because my friends is using pc's and they only have msn
so you saying if i download this adium i can talk to my friends in msn?
and this neo office its just like normal office for windows with like word and stuff? that is pretty much the 2 most needed programs for me:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yup Adium is a program that allows you to talk to all of your msn friends using PC. :)

As for neo-office, it has all the usual office programs and also allows you to open/create/save office documents created on the PC! :)

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
First, you're in the right place for help.

Secondly, Adium not only runs MSN but most of the popular chat programs as well (ICQ, AIM, Yahoo etc).

NeoOffice is ok (just my opinion) but there's Office for Mac on your new computer (just a trial version). If you're short on money or simply frugal, wait a few months or so, use NeoOffice for now and get Office for Mac 2008 when it is released (supposedly coming soon). I only mention that b/c I am a fan of Office 2007...

Also, I'm going to wait until I'm more familiar this new OS. But you can run windows programs on your mac! Just download PARALLELS and follow the instructions. I'm not doing so mainly b/c I bought the mac to get away from windows and I have heard of some minor issues when doing so. More importantly, I want to have a solid grasp on OS X and all that it encompasses before I even think about it. I still have a desktop and a laptop as well to play my games on and probably will for a long time.

Finally, if you do a search in the forum menu, you can find most of the answers you need. One of the first things I did was ask what software was recommended. For me, what I do is search, (say I'm looking for a browser) then I make a list of the recommendations, I then go through the threads and put a check mark next to each suggestions. Whichever two programs get the highest marks, I try them out and make the determination for myself (as you'll learn there are a lot of opinions in here)! ;)

At any rate, hope that helped and didn't put you to sleep.

Cheers

OP
P
Reaction score
that help quite well thx too the both of you ill just use neo-office just need to be able to write:)
and i think im gonna use that parralel so i can game :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.