• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I think the technology is here

Reaction score
Apple “RECORDS” their WDC anyway on QuickTime. How frickin cool would it be if Apple puts Jobs' keynote LIVE on the Web with QuickTime.

Just think of having a worldwide crowd watching Jobs as he reveals the “top secrets” of Leopard.

Nay this probably makes too much sense for iphones-r-us. :blind:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Umm, I thought they did air the keynote live this year.....

Reaction score
No I was here and there was no Live stream.

Apple used to do their Live streams when they introduced the Quicktime technology for it in 1997/98.

For some reason though, they don't broadcast live anymore, instead they put out a (maybe slightly edited) version a couple of hours later.

M

MacHeadCase

Yeah they used to stream live the Keynote but I think they stopped a couple of years after the initial broadcast because the demand was simply too high.

I watched a couple of times back then and the play was pretty iffy. Sometimes you would get kicked out of the streaming because too many viewers were online, sometimes the image would go bad, sometimes the video would be playing all choppy.

Reaction score
I don't think the technology is here yet. Some web servers get bogged down when they are just providing up-to-date coverage with text during the big apple events.

Reaction score
Bandwidth capacities are probably just not there yet. Apple should televise the Keynote, I'm sure a few broadcasters would pick up that.

OP
S
Reaction score
Bandwidth capacities are probably just not there yet. Apple should televise the Keynote, I'm sure a few broadcasters would pick up that.

Now that's a thought.

They will broadcast live easy over the Web in the future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Do you think broadcasting over the web will work? Every computer has to contact a source and transfer the content, in a 1 to 1 relationship, which is why this idea (and IP TV in general) is going to be trouble. With broadcasting, the signal is just shot out and the device (TV) has to pick it up, no 1 to 1.

OP
S
Reaction score
Do you think broadcasting over the web will work? Every computer has to contact a source and transfer the content, in a 1 to 1 relationship, which is why this idea (and IP TV in general) is going to be trouble. With broadcasting, the signal is just shot out and the device (TV) has to pick it up, no 1 to 1.

I'm sure that what they said about the computer when it came out. “No big box could possibly do all this and that blah blah blah.”

Watching live TV shows on the Web is already here. Just to name one site: http://wwitv.com/portal.htm

Reaction score
Do you think broadcasting over the web will work?

Yes, not that much different than cable's On-demand services. I am going to contradict what I said before about the technology not being here, kind of. I think would be possible for a company to acquire the necessary bandwith and hardware to broadcast an event like that to the number of people interested but it would be so expensive that it would not be worth it unless they had a revenue generating use for that technology the other 364 days a year. Basically the technology isn't here to the point that it is cost effective.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Yes, not that much different than cable's On-demand services. I am going to contradict what I said before about the technology not being here, kind of. I think would be possible for a company to acquire the necessary bandwith and hardware to broadcast an event like that to the number of people interested but it would be so expensive that it would not be worth it unless they had a revenue generating use for that technology the other 364 days a year. Basically the technology isn't here to the point that it is cost effective.

This is what I was going to say. I think we will have to wait for a while before bandwidth and very powerful servers are cheap enough they they can own a few thousand with out killing their bank

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.