• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Ever Traveled/Lived Abroad??

Reaction score
I guess the technical term for it is being an expatriate. This is kinda long. Go to the end for the abridged version if you're too lazy to read. :headphone

So here's the deal, I'm 24 years old, got a great career, but something's not right. Then the other day it hit me, my best friend and I were drinking a few cold ones and talking about inane random stuff like usual. He told me how lucky I was to be in my position at my age and that, "all you have to do now is sit around until you retire."

WOAH! That scared the crap out of me. Maybe it's my restless nature, but seeing the world is something I've always wanted to do, but I don't want to do it when I'm too old to appreciate new experiences and/or do everything I want to do.

So I got to thinking about it and in doing some research online, I've found that worldwide, particularly in Europe and Asia, there is a huge demand for teachers of English as a foreign language. This seems to be the perfect way to spend three, four, maybe even five years experiencing other cultures, making a decent living doing it, and hey, maybe it would even give me time to finish up my bachelor's degree. I have checked a lot of blogs/forums and have read many positives as well as many negatives about this type of "lifestyle."

I figured I would pose the question in here as M-F is about the only forum I read where your question can get answered without two idiots getting in a fight in your thread (stupid car forums.)

Abridged version: Who has spent a significant amount of time outside of their home country? Why did you leave? What do you regret, or not regret? What did you do while you were 'traveling'? And does anyone have a TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) cert. who can offer some specific input on this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I spent 3 weeks on the eastern coast of OZ. AKA Australia to some. It was a short 3 weeks, but I'd love to go again if I get the chance, hopefully for more than 3 weeks again. If you get the chance I would take it. I know a girl at school (my age, 20) that spent a year in Japan teaching students there English.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
I've never traveled abroad (unless Canada counts). But I have a friend who went with me to a Cubs game last summer, and we took the train in and he spent about ten minutes on the train listing off all of the countries he's been to. Basically, he's been to at least one country on every continent other than Africa and Antarctica.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I've visited every continent other than Antarctica.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
I suppose it would all come down to where you were going, whether it would be a good idea.

I've only ever been as far as Spain for a few weeks and I found it painful, not because it wasn't a nice place but because there was the language barrier.

That's the only real concern I have ever had but I wish I could speak another language or even try to pick up the basic's. Cut a long boring story short, never been anywhere for a long enough time to be considered "expatriate" but I would be concerned about the Language Barrier if I was in your position. Granted there will no probably other Ex-Pats but to fit in you will need to get over that little hurdle...Well that's what I would be thinking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
Once I knew abroad....

Lucky you baggss....I would love to do it but never seem to get around to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Well I am British and living and working in New York, USA, so I guess I am an ex-pat. Prior to this I worked in India during 2002 and 2003, in Barclelona from June 03 until June 04 and then Milan from July 04 until Jan 05.

It's a great experience and I am very lucky to have these opportunities.

RTP

Reaction score
Go for it - you're young and have nothing to lose

I'm currently living & working in Singapore and I love travelling - in the past year I've been to Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia, India, China, Taiwan, etc. etc.

Sure, it's not all smooth sailing - working in a different culture can be difficult and I think everyone experiences some level of culture shock. On the whole though it's a great way to see the world and gain new experiences and perspectives

Teaching English sounds like a good way to do it, but it isn't the only way - have you looked for overseas jobs in your current profession? I'm in the same profession as I was back "home"

Reaction score
I am originally from Germany and went to Canada right after I graduated from university Jan 06. It was supposed to be an internship for about 6 month. Here I found a job I love and a great city and wicked nature (since I am totally into outdoors).

I just love it and don't wanna think about leaving. It's a bit stressful to deal with the government for the work permit and right now I am working on something permanent. But it's worth it. I met so many great people that are close friends by now, go biking like crazy in the summer, volunteer in an outdoor club and keep myself busy during the winter by being a ski patroller (and who ever asks him/herself now if I am still working: yes I am (software engineer) - have an awesome boss who is alright with all that stuff as long as I do a good job).

Everything just works out and I am glad I made that move. Even though it was kind of scary at the beginning and it still is, when I think about maybe staying here for the rest of my life. Who knows, one day I might go back - but I guess my girlfriend has to learn some German for that ;-)

Before I came here I didn't know much about the country or the city. Right now I am just happy to be here and enjoy every day with my friends, my girlfriend and my mac :D

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the great responses. Learning the language(s) would definitely be the toughest part, although I know enough (Mexican) spanish that I think I could get by in Spain with little trouble.

As far as going over there in my current profession it would be difficult, I'm an insurance agent, and while I'm sure there are similarities in other countries, health care systems and regulations vary so vastly that I think it would be a fruitless effort to pursue, not to mention I would need to be perfectly fluent in the native language to be able to sell it.

Thanks again for all the responses, I knew this was the right place to ask :headphone

Keep the stories coming. Maybe in a few months I'll have some of my own.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
So I got to thinking about it and in doing some research online, I've found that worldwide, particularly in Europe and Asia, there is a huge demand for teachers of English as a foreign language. This seems to be the perfect way to spend three, four, maybe even five years experiencing other cultures, making a decent living doing it, and hey, maybe it would even give me time to finish up my bachelor's degree. I have checked a lot of blogs/forums and have read many positives as well as many negatives about this type of "lifestyle."
On one hand I'd say, "Go for it!" On the other hand, I'd say you'd do well to get your degree first.

My sis-in-law did just that, teaching English as a foreign language. Her hubby is in the US Navy, and they lived in Japan for a while. During that time, she taught English at a Japanese military academy in Tokyo. Note however she has a BS in Computer Science and a JD.

UPDATE:

Btw, she knew little Japanese. The students were advanced, and already knew some English. The students were required to speak entirely in English for the class.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
You should definitely do it. It might be better to finish school and try to do some international study programs and make contacts to do the kind of work you're really into rather than English teaching. I took Japanese in high school. The teacher did the JET program in Japan. He went there barely able to speak a word and came out 3 years later fluent in Japanese and with a wife. Have you considered the Peace Corps? If you don't finish school, they pay you in the end to help pay for school.

I did an internship in China for 6 months when I was in college. I was majoring in hospitality management (yes, it's a real major) and through a professor who was Chinese we got to go work (and live) in a 5 star hotel in China. I suppose my experience was a little easier because I lived in a hotel, had 5 other interns from the university with me, and most of the hotel staff spoke a little English.

The people were really great. I thought they might being nice because they were told to. I could tell some didn't like us, but many did and we made friends to hang out with outside work and have a mostly normal life. We did a lot of traveling on our own. Outside of work almost nobody spoke English, so it was challenging, but fun.

Unfortunately, we were there during the 9/11 attacks, which was to go through away from home. I almost left early. It may be that or just being gone, but in the end I was missing home. But in hindsight, it was a really great experience and I hope to do something similar again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I lived in Spain for 2 months my junior year of high school. I was strong enough in Spanish (which is why my school nominated me to go) that I didn't run into many issues with the language barrier. Beautiful country.

Spent a semester living on a sail boat in the carribean making stops in jamaica and honduras (for 3 days each) so the rest of the semester a 135 foot boat was my foreign home. I am definitely thinking of doing that in the future

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM
My sister-in-law teaches ESL to Japanese students and one of her daughters has taught or still teaches in a couple of foreign countries. I will find out the details.
My situation is reverse. I came to the US 28 years ago to study. So, I will not tell you my story, since you are interested in traveling abroad.

OP
S
Reaction score
My sister-in-law teaches ESL to Japanese students and one of her daughters has taught or still teaches in a couple of foreign countries. I will find out the details.
My situation is reverse. I came to the US 28 years ago to study. So, I will not tell you my story, since you are interested in traveling abroad.

Quite the contrary, I'm interested in hearing about people's experiences, whether they're from the U.S. and went elsewhere, or from elsewhere and came to the U.S.

One interesting thing I've heard some people say is that once you spend enough time traveling to different places, the thought of moving back "home" begins to sound like just another move to a new culture. (Even if you grew up there) I found this pretty interesting.

As a side note to whomever mentioned finishing up school first. I've thought about this. In my research, which has been brief, I've noticed that Middle Eastern and Eastern countries, U.A.E. Saudi Arabia, India, China, Taiwan, Japan, etc. typically are more likely to require a degree along with TEFL cert. Whereas European countries are less concerned with a degree. Either way, I'm about 3.5 yrs. into my degree, so it wouldn't take too long to complete.

I was thinking I'd like to start in Europe anyway, Spain, France or Italy. Heck, It's 3 a.m. and I'm looking at properties and cost of living in Southern France. You can spend a lot of money for not a lot of space in Nice. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM
When I get some answers from my sister-in-law and her daughter, I will include my own experiences, too. It is 1:17 a.m. now, and if I try to put together a story, it may not make much sense. But, I will post soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
I left England in 1984 and haven't lived there since. Why I left? I met a girl and my prospects in England were zero. So I left for Denmark.
I took and apprenticeship there something the English education board told me I couldn't do because I was too old.
I have since moved to Norway (1993) where I live now. The winters can be a pain but the work is good and the wages make it very comfortable. I have never regretted leaving England and would recommend it.

I have never taught anything so if you can then just do it. You'll only be sitting there saying "what if" otherwise.

Have fun. and remember a sense of humor and the ability to not take things too much to heart are very important

Reaction score
Yes - I was "lucky" enough to have the US Navy send me, fare-free to lots of places. Two best: Four years in New Zealand (a BEAUTIFUL country) and Antarctica (most fun I ever had).

OP
S
Reaction score
Yes - I was "lucky" enough to have the US Navy send me, fare-free to lots of places. Two best: Four years in New Zealand (a BEAUTIFUL country) and Antarctica (most fun I ever had).

New Zealand I can see. But what was so fun about Antarctica?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.