Switch from WinXP Media Center...

Reaction score
I have an HP laptop running XP Media Center. I was thinking.. if I were to get a MacBook or MBP.. is there any kind of TV solution I could get, that would let me do the whole watch/record TV thing?

Reaction score
Pinnacle make devices, but they are far from good.

EyeTV has won several awards for the good software, so I recommend you buy an EyeTV compatible device, Elgato makes EyeTV devices.

You can choose an approriate product on their Website.

OP
C
Reaction score
Wow, EyeTV Hybrid looks like the way to go! (I have a Comcast set-top box) Can I save my recorded shows to a format that I can use 3rd party software to crunch down to Xvid format?

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for that. But EyeTV Hybrid is only $150, no biggie.. plus it seems like an all-in-one unified solution, very simple to use, which is what I'm looking for.

The only reason I didn't want to give up my HP laptop was because of its DVR features. Looks like I found a reason to buy a MacBook Pro :)

OP
C
Reaction score
yogi: Hehe. Believe me, I'm done with the Windows approach.. download this app to do this, and this app to do this, oh and one more.. and go through a few steps blah blah.. no thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.