Buy a Mac

Reaction score
I'm new here, so feel free to pop me.
I have never owned a Mac product, but the last update by MS made me say: Enough is enough.
I'm thinking of buying a Mac computer but know nothing about them. Is a Mac the same as an Apple?
I do mostly genealogy charts with with my PC. I use FrontPage 2003 and Office2007 (mostly Excel) I also use WS_FTP. Can I use those programs with a Mac computer?
Does Mac have their own software? Will they update it every three years making my computer and software obsolete?
I've had enough of MS and PCs , but I do not know if Mac is any different.
Any objective thoughts are apprecaited. What should I buy and how much should I pay?
Charles

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Apple is the maker of the Macintosh computer line, including Hardware and the Operating System, OSX (pronounced OS 10).

Mac Office 2004 Suite and the soon to be released Mac Office 2008 suite come with Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Entourage (A Mac version of Outlook, but better). I am not certain if there is a Mac version of Front Page though.

There are several FTP programs for the Mac (FETCH and TRANSMIT spring to mind) so that will not be an issue. WS_FTP does not make a Mac compatible version that I am aware of.

Apple updates their OS roughly every 18 months or so. If you buy a Mac it will be usable for the next 4 to 6 years depending on how you use it, possibly longer. I am on a 5 year upgrade cycle for desktop Macs and a 4 year upgrade cycle for Mac laptops. There are likely to be no software updates in the next 6 years that will render new hardware bought today obsolete. There are likely to be no Software updates in the next 6 years that will make software bought today obsolete.

The current generation of Intel Based Macs offers you the option to run Windows as well. With Apples "Bootcamp" software you can choose to boot the machine into Windows or the MacOS (OSX). When you boot into Windows, it is Windows only and will run just like any other Windows machine along with the same vulnerabilities. An alternative is a Program called "Parells Virtual Desktop". This program allows you to run Windows within the MacOS system virtually (inside a window I believe) and allows Windows to take advantage of the Macs native Intel based hardware. The nice part about both of these options is you can still use those Windows only applications you need along side of the MacOS system. In other words, you get the best of both worlds.

Reaction score
I can only affirm to what Baggss has said.

I can also confirm that there is no Front Page for Mac. In my opinion, you will be happier making websites with iWeb, results in FrontPage have been less than beautiful for me.

Switching to a Mac means learning a new way of working with a computer. You will use different software, you might use even better software, more software, less software - you won't just take your PC life over 1:1 . You will adapt, and your way of working will change.

While that may sound scary, it isn't, in fact it's for the better. I strongly recommend that you head out to an Apple store or a friend who has a modern Mac computer and play around with it - or else you might be negatively surprised.

Mac isn't necessarily better than Windows, depending on your needs. So in your individual case, I am reading you to be someone not all to comfortable with different or new systems.

As I said, each cas is different, and you should spend some time with the bride before marrying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
For Web page work I use either iWeb, Dreamweaver 8 or Netscape Composer 6.2.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
What should I buy and how much should I pay?
Charles

ill explain the line of Macs they have out.

Mac mini (the world's smallest consumer computer) is probably best for 'casual' users, as it features integrated graphics and, for now, a Core Duo processor, instead of the Core 2 Duo feature in iMac. It also has a smaller hard drive and no monitor. It starts at just $599. It has all the usual ports and drives.

iMac is probably the best in the line. It suits all, from casual, to nerdy (like me :D). It is completely built in to the monitor, so there is no external unit that you have to find space for, and it is still the exact same width as my PC monitor (im a switcher too. but my iMac is being shipped right now). Depending on which model you buy, it will feature either integrated graphics, an ATI Radeon X1600, or the nVidia GeForce 7300 GT, both nearly top-of-the-line cards. It has all the usual USB, firewire, CD port etc. Starts at $999.

Mac Pro is exclusively for computer lovers. It starts at $2,499! Not a price to pay for something you will only use for email and the likes. It is the world's most powerful consumer computer, especially with quad or eight cores! But really, you don't sound like the kinda guy who would spend that much on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Mac Pro is exclusively for computer lovers. ...... It is the world's most powerful consumer computer
To clarify things a little:
The Mac Pro simply is not a "consumer computer". It is called the Mac Pro, because it is designed for professional use. Therefore, it isn't "exclusively for computer lovers", it is for professionals who require heavy-duty hardware for their heavy-duty professional use.
Yes, it is entirely "too much computer" for an average user, but as I pointed out, it isn't made for just anyone. :black:

The iMac and Mini are desktops for the consumer.

Basically, anything with "Power" or "Pro" in the model name is designed for professional use.

OP
C
Reaction score
Buy a Mac?

My thanks to both of you for your reply.
I'm not sure I can learn a new system, but I was just on our genealogy forum and lots of people are angry at MS Vista. They mentioned Mac as their next computer.
I'll have to look into a Mac. I assume it can access DLS just like my PC.
In the meantime, I refuse to "upgrade" to Vista. MS no longer makes FrontPage to add insult to injury. I want to hang on to that program. It took me years to understand it. One genealogist said FrontPage does not work correctly with Vista.
All in all, I think my next computer may be a Mac. I've been buying PCs every three years. A six year Mac cycle sounds much better.
Charles

Reaction score
just to make sure you're clear, any "basic" sort of computer task you do on your PC can be done on a Mac: Word processing, photos, MP3s, movies, internet, burn CDs/DVDs, etc. It uses the same standards as PCs; USB, ethernet, wireless are all the same.

Software functions will be different though. You may be able to get the same program, just Mac version (eg. Office, Photoshop), or you may need a new program that does the same thing.

OP
C
Reaction score
Okay,
I do not need a Pro or Power unit. I think some of my software is for Mac or MS. I'll have to add up my options.
Thanks again. I better visit a Mac store.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Okay,
I do not need a Pro or Power unit. I think some of my software is for Mac or MS. I'll have to add up my options.
Thanks again. I better visit a Mac store.

That really is a great idea. Visit an Apple store and check out all the Macs there. Mess with OSX a bit. See how you like it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
Mac Mini with 1GB of RAM and 1.66Ghz CPU runs well. If you are the sort of person who needs processor intensive applications then an iMac or Mac Pro would be what you need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Does Mac have their own software? Will they update it every three years making my computer and software obsolete?

The latest operating system even works fine on a 233Mhz iMac machine from 1998 - Macs are very future proof.

OP
C
Reaction score
Buy a Mac?

I returned from the Reno, Nv Apple store on Virginia St. few minutes ago.
They have a beautiful sales office. The Mac machines are beautiful too.
On the down side:
1-- The overhead music was so loud that I had a difficult time hearing the sales rep.
2--The sales rep knew NOTHING about web pages, FrontPage, or uploading web pages to a server or file transfer from Office. Frankly, he did not seem to know much about Mac software.
3--The sales rep nudged me toward installing Vista and Office 2007 on the Mac.

I told him to "have a nice day" and walked out. If I wanted to buy MS Vista I'd buy a new PC and save $1,000 over the Mac. I'm not a contrary person, I'm merely direct.

I'll hang on to my E machines T6212 by replacing parts for as long as they make them.
Later,
Charles

Reaction score
Frankly I had a similar experience. The Apple Store was beautiful and welcoming but the staff was not. I felt pressured to spend more money even though I was already buying a MBP, two AirPort Extremes, a mouse and some cables. And a lot of my questions went unanswered.

Luckily here in town is an Apple certified distributor. They're terrific. They want to talk about Macs and are interested in how the customer will use their Mac. Terrific guys.

Perhaps there's an Apple distributor near you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
I have yet to get my Mac, but as a PC user looking to switch, I'd say not to let one salesperson affect you too negatively. I've been in my local Apple store (King of Prussia, Pa) a few times and found that I worked better with some salespeople than others. I too also had him explaining about how you could install Windows on Macs, but it was more like him telling me there was a 'safety net' in case I absolutely couldn't do something in OS X. Which, being a big gamer, made me feel better I'll admit.

I'm also a little tired of all the hassle with Microsoft (I work in the computer industry), and I'm just looking for a change. I'm rather excited to get a Macbook Pro, but I'm waiting at the moment because it seems like everyone is saying that a new model is due out any moment now.

OP
C
Reaction score
There are only two Apply stores in Reno. One is closed on Mondays. I drove 15 miles to the other one.
I am tired of the hassel with Windows. I'm looking for something else, but have decide there is not much out there that fits my needs. I'm not going to update to Vista unless I but a new computer, But I think I can keep this E machines running 3 to 5 more years. I usually buy a new computer every 3 years. I'm tired of doing that even though it's probably cheaper in the long run. Perhaps in 3 more years Windows will have another "update." <snicker>
Charles

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
I have been to Apple stores and Apple authorized resellers. Resellers who are unaffiliated with a chain seem to be more knowledgeable (in general) and have explained, for me, many things beyond the standard Apple fare.
I recommend looking under "where to buy" then "find a reseller" on the Apple site. When I put in Reno, NV it came up with "Mac-O-Rama" 4690 Longley Ln, 89502.
Hope you don't give up considering Macs from one bad store experience!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.