watching Xvid using Quicktime

Reaction score
So, I am a brand new mac owner. I am super excited about my recent purchase and have had only some minor changes I need to get used to.

The first problem/question I have run into is that I download torrents of tv shows online on a pretty regular basis, and I have been unable to watch them on the new MAC.

When I open Quicktime, nothing plays (no sound or video)

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
use VLC player; it plays everything thrown at it (except maybe some Windows Media files)....I like the interface better than QuickTime too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Though if you like Quicktime (or QTamateur even better) just download and install the DIVX codec. This will handle pretty much everything you'll find 'out there'. Do a Google search for it and you should be set.

You will, however, find the odd thing that even QT with DIVX won't handle, so for that, yes chances are VLC will come to the rescue so it doesn't hurt to go get it and have handy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.