• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I am going to London in a couple months, what should I do?

Reaction score
I know we have a lot of people from that part of the world here so I figured I would ask. I'll only be there a week... you thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM
Take my eyes with you. lol

Reaction score
There are a million things to do.

Changing of the guard is a must.
Learn the Underground -- the thing goes everywhere
Take a day trip to Stonehenge...
Tower of London is very interesting
The Abby is a must see
...and of course go to the Theatre every night you are there. It's the best in the world and it's cheap compared to New York and San Francisco

You'll have lots to do. I'd recommend Frommer's Books...he has lots of great ideas and places to eat on the cheap etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
It might sound obvious but check out http://www.visitlondon.com/

I've never been to London but what you must try is corny British things like...
Fish and Chips, Black Pudding, Fry Ups, Cornish Pasty and a Shepherds Pie.

Then visit all the old Haunts like The Changing of the Guards, Houses of Parliament, The London Eye, Look at the Downing Street Gate...Wow! Lol

Oh Yea and St's Paul Cathedral...Hope that Helps!

GWR

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac C2D - PB G4 - iBook G4 - iMac G3 DV SE
you must try is corny British things like...
Fish and Chips

Don't forget the mushy peas! Yummy!!
Right across from the Hilton at Paddington is a kebab stand to die for.

I used to travel through there quite a bit and Holland and Holland was a must see for me. I can't think of the name, but the canal with the locks was cool.
Picadilly and Soho were different too.

I'll second the London Eye.

GR

Reaction score
I'd recommend a visit to Covent Garden and Camden Lock. Lots of street theatre, ethnic food, etc. Use the tube, yes, but walking you'll get much more of a feel for the place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
The Apple store on Regent Street :)

I always enjoy a look around Tate Britain which is a gallery, I also highly recommend Tate Modern, another gallery, I've not been to it myself, but it looks great and is a place I've been meaning to get to for a couple of years now.

Harrods is basically a department store, they offer some quite nice stuff. I think most people in Harrods are tourists. It has some history and is perhaps worth a look around if you're in town.

There are loads of things to do in London - I think you could be there for maybe 2 weeks, if you had the money and the free time then I think you could fill each day without having to leave London itself.

London Zoo is supposed to be quite nice and the natural history museum is also supposed to be pretty good and entry is free to the museum as well.

I think you'll have a great time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67ghz, Macbook Intel Core Duo 1.86ghz
The best walk in london is as follows:

Go to Waterloo. Walk towards the river, doesnt really matter how you get there. Should be a 2 or 3 minute walk from the station. Then when you're next to the river, you'll see the london eye on your left and the houses of parliament across the river to the left. Now turn right and walk along the river. It's called the south bank, both because it's the south bank of the river thames and because thats where the South Bank arts centre is. Now you can walk for as long as you like. its pedestrianised for several miles. Depending on how far you go, you'll pass:

South Bank Centre
Tate Modern
Globe Theatre
Loads of nice restaurants and bars/pubs
Borought market

You can cross the river at any bridge to see stuff like St. Paul's cathedral, houses of parliament, the Bar and loads of other stuff. I live about 2 mins from the south bank, would def recommend it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
If you're planning to see a few shows I'd recommend The Woman in Black, Les Misérables and the Blue Man Group from what I've seen over the past year. There's some info on each and more here (CLICK!) but this is just the 1st site I came across so I can't vouch for the 2for1 offers.

The Woman in Black was very good and a massive surprise as I'd read the book beforehand and still cannot see how it's so highly rated. The stage version fixes all the annoyances of the book and even openly calls it long-winded. Definitely worth taking a look, you'll be shocked at what this 2 (3!) man cast can do and the theatre alone is old and spooky.

Les Misérables I don't think I need to explain, simply amazing show and cast.

The Blue Man group I won't even try to explain, just go. Trust me, there is nothing quite like it. All I will say is that it's one of those you can pretty much guarantee that people of all ages will enjoy, just bring your sense of humour - And cross your fingers that you don't get picked to go up on stage...

Lastly try to get down to The Comedy Store (This is probably the least expensive if I remember correctly). The Comedy Store Players are on a few nights a week and do a show, all completely improvised, based on your suggestions. Very talented group of people, some of which you may recognise from TV.

:black:

Edited to agree with RNDdave, the galleries and Natural History Museum will be well worth taking a look at. I also forgot Chicago, another amazing show I'd definitely recommend.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
- Macbook -
Don't forget to take a trip to Hamleys, Harrods and Selfridges! Hamleys is my favourite, I adopted a one eyed teddy bear from there ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
There were many many answers Icould have made....but in the end all I could say was ENJOY!!

Reaction score
Victoria and Albert museum?
That was a must to visit when I was at Art College.
Madam Toussauds (sp) and the Chamber of Horrors? M'wah-ha-ha
The London Dungeons? More M'wah-ha-ha
[/vincent price mode]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
I was thinking about tripping up to London this summer, these links are very helpful.

Thanks everyone!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
ha, I'll be heading to London myself, in June. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" Retina
you must go to the natural history museum..... south kensington tube is the nearest..... (the science and the victoria and albert museums are 5 mins walk away.... the later is the largest and full of empire... 2 days).... but the natural history i go to time and time again (don't eat in leave on a pass and around the station is great food .... ital to indian cheap and much better then in.)

the building is one of the best in london. (plan a day).

then you must also go to the CITY....... this is the oldest part from roman times and where the first banking district is and the tower of london (also st paul's). the 'city of london' is seperate in governance to london which includes the 'west end' and harrods. walk with a tour of the city (a davinci code tour purhaps ..... very true) ..... you will see so many lanes and cut throughs that reamin.... we don't destroy them and so much history remains in unsual places like the remains of the roman wall in the underground car park at moorgate..... a roman wall is distinct ya know and i'll leave you to find out why..... then do the 'Globe theatre' also underground where shakespeare did his thing..... note old london is buried in time.

Reaction score
High Wycombe, Just outside London, England
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz
I have to say that all the suggestions above are superb.

Personally I love London, fortunately I only live about 25 miles away it.

Whatever you do enjoy your stay.

Oh and remember that Apple stores have free Wi-Fi access if you are going near there to check emails etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.