Parallels on MacBook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Hello Folks,

I got a Newbie question for all. While the wait is killing me to get my hands on my MacBook, I was wondering.... How does Parallels behave on the MacBook?

Unfortunately and its a very necessary EVIL :spook: But I have to run Windows XP on my MAC for Buisness... to be more specific Forex Trading Software.

So if you can share your experience of Parallels with me that will be great. Also if you can give me your opinion on which is Better Parallels or Boot Camp. I ordered my MacBook with 2GB Ram, as I saw all the recommendations online. and I will only be using the Windows Interface for only 1 or 2 programs, nothing intensive if you are familiar with Forex Software you'll know what I mean, basically all charts and HAVE to be able to be online with no issues.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

OP
MinaMACMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also one more thing...

Is a Windows OEM version good to go or do I have to go for the Retail Version. OEM goes fore $89.99 on Newegg.com while Retail goes for close to $200.

Let me know

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I'm running Parallels on my MacBook without issue. I'm using Windows 2000. You really need 2GB RAM for it though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I run Windows XP under Parallels on my MacBook, which has 2 GB of RAM and a 2.0 Core Duo processor. I use it primarily for post-production on our podcast, using Adobe Audition.

It runs beautifully-- never a lag or any other problems.

You may want to use the Search function on these forums-- there are tons of real-life stories here of how Parallels behaves for the community here.

And welcome to the forums!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Just like knightlie and caribiner23, I have been running Parallels on my Macbook without any problems.

I initially bought my Macbook with 1GB of RAM, and while I could run Parallels on it, it would tend to get a bit slow. When I upgraded to 2GB of RAM, the thing just FLEW. So you should be just fine with running Parallels on your Macbook.

As for the OEM vs retail issue. You can use the OEM version just fine. I myself am running the OEM version as are many other members on this board. :black:

Reaction score
Running Parallels on a 1.83GHz CD MBP. With 512MB of RAM, it ran ok, not spectacular. Recently upgrading to 2GB, Parallels and the rest of my applications fly. I can leave Parallels open the whole time and I don't experience any lag at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Also one more thing...

Is a Windows OEM version good to go or do I have to go for the Retail Version. OEM goes fore $89.99 on Newegg.com while Retail goes for close to $200.

Let me know

Thanks in advance.

I run Parallels Win XP SP2, retail version on a MacBook with 1gig of RAM and it is fine. I shaved off all the bloat from XP (so it runs looking like classic etc). 2 gigs of RAM will make it quicker though, as I limit XP to only 384MB of system memory. Parallels is fast, I am connecting to work right now via it.

One thing - you could technically use an OEM version, i.e. it would install, but of course that would not be agreeing to the license terms and conditions, so I am sure you'll get the retail version instead...

OP
MinaMACMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for all the good News here. I am looking forward to My MACBOOK even more, man why doesn't time fly by any faster.

Again thanks you guys are Awesome for all your quick help and answers.

Cheers and ROCK ONN

Reaction score
New to this forum, and to the use of MAC, and I also need windows. All the answers are terrific. Thanks everyone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB RAM, 22" Samsung WS monitor, Apple Bluetooth KB & Mighty Mouse, Airport Extreme BS
I run Parallels Win XP SP2, retail version on a MacBook with 1gig of RAM and it is fine. I shaved off all the bloat from XP (so it runs looking like classic etc).

Any chance you can post details of exactly what you did to "shave off all the bloat from XP"? This could prove very helpful and thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Any chance you can post details of exactly what you did to "shave off all the bloat from XP"? This could prove very helpful and thanks.

Well for a start, the windows classic theme, rather than the default XP theme, saves some precious MBs.

Secondly, go to msconfig (by typing msconfig in the 'run' box fromt he start menu) and take a look at what XP launches on startup. There are lots of websites explainign these programs

http://startup.networktechs.com/

This is a good one for example.

You can also cusomise the install of XP, there are many programmes that are not necessary for example - I mean, do you really use wordpad if you have Office Installed?

Reaction score
I use Winpatrol for my Windows XP and it is an excellent program to vet start up files because it will tell you exactly what those programs do and then you can decide if you want to remove it from Start UP

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.