need help with scanning photos with hp printer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 17" intel core duo, 512mb,160gb, super-drive
sorry if i am posting this in the wrong area, but i just switched to a imac and
i just tried to use my hp printer on my new imac to scan a bunch of old photos onto my computer..the problem is i can't get the printer to scan anything..it prints and copies, but when i hit the scan button it does nothing. I tried to contact hp, but they said they can't help me because i am not using windows, and they are not trained to work with macs..so i am very frustrated and am wondering if i am doing something wrong...if anyone could suggest any help i would appreciate it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Hm wish I could help you. Thats a pretty specific problem though. Have you googled it?

Maybe tell HP "well alright... a new printer is cheaper than a new computer so I guess I'll go get my self an Epson"

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i already did tell them that i would never buy hp again and will be buying a printer that has "mac-friendly" support..it is ridiculous that they can't help you once they find out you own a mac..do they think everyone in the world owns a windows based computer...probably because hp is windows based and they want you to buy one of their computers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD
You might want to try downloading HP Image Zone from their website.

I had no luck scanning from a HP ScanJet 5500c using the software that came on the disk, but using Image Zone it works perfectly.

Or, you could try VueScan but it watermarks your pics until you buy.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
What model is your HP?

M

MacHeadCase

Ok I just stumbled upon something where it is said you need to download the latest driver an install it. Restart and first, you'll need to launch HP's ImageZone, then you can scan using VueScan but you'll need to buy it otherwise the demo watermarks the images. Try it first and if it works you might consider purchasing VueScan.

Don't buy it before knowing if it'll work or not, is my advice.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i will try to install image zone. i didn't have that installed on the hard drive because when i first plugged the printer in, it worked without having to put the hp disk in..i thought that everything would work, but maybe i need to install the image zone software..i hope i can find the disks..

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The latest driver from HP is a print only driver, no scan function for Mac OS X. My guess is it's the same driver as on Apple's site.
edit - deleted - see Discerptor's link below
As MHC pointed out, looks like VueScan will probably work, but do try it before you buy it.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The latest driver from HP is a print only driver, no scan function for Mac OS X. My guess is it's the same driver as on Apple's site.
Here is the link for Image Zone for your HP.
As MHC pointed out, looks like VueScan will probably work, but do try it before you buy it.

so even if i install the hp image zone software, i will not be able to scan unless i buy an additional product? is this the same with all the printers?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, you just have an older printer before HP really started supporting the Mac. Try instaling Image Zone. Don't know if it will work or not, but wicker_man says it worked for him, so the possibility exists. If that doesn't work, then give VueScan a shot.

This is just one of the hassles with changing OS's that some forget to mention in their enthusiasm of their Mac's. Something I learned in my multiple tries at moving to Linux. Now that you are and probably will be a multiple OS user through the years, just remember to buy peripherals that support more than a single OS. Or, at least when you buy from now on, it is something to be mindful of.
First thing I did after I bought my MBP was to go get a printer/scanner that had support for XP, OS X and Linux since I have all three in the house (and it is an HP by the way).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Go here. Download and install what's there. Job done. While most printers can print right out of the box when you plug them into a Mac, other features like scanning definitely require drivers/software.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Go here. Download and install what's there. Job done. While most printers can print right out of the box when you plug them into a Mac, other features like scanning definitely require drivers/software.

Yeah, use that one instead of the one I had linked.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for your help..i got it to worked. i just used the install disk that came with the printer and put all of the additional software needed on the hard drive. funny that the installation disk says macintosh on it..and hp customer care said they weren't trained to help with macintosh computers..anyway..i figured it out..thanks again for all of your suggestions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.