• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Arctic Monkeys - what a band

Reaction score
Anyone hear the Arctic Monkeys on the Radio 1 Live Lounge and the Astoria Gig? If not, you can listen here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/events/arcticmonkeys.shtml

The cover song was greart. I fired up Audio Hijack...

They're a stunning band. So tight. Makes me wish I was young enough to make a go of it again.

Best of British.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
They are quite a phenomenon. Their music is very good...but more importantly, they created a huge following by their musical talent alone. Word of mouth made them what they are. The internet is truly a great thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13' Black MacBook Core Duo 1.25 GB Ram 80GB HD
I love the arctic monkeys ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
I'll have to say I was initially put off, the 1st I heard of them was in a poll which placed their album as the best ever created, ever, by anyone. The couple of releases I've heard were ok though, I may have to give them a second chance...

OP
MartinS
Reaction score
I heard similar claims just over a year ago, and like you was somewhat sceptical. The album is the best of all time? What? Better than Ocean Rain? Better than Meat is Murder? Infected? OK Computer?

However, in iTunes the Arctic Monkeys tracks I have now rate among both my most played and my highest rated.

Some of the lyrics are fantastic, and my God they're tight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
er.. 24" iMac
I only like their first two songs, the rest sound too similar.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67ghz, Macbook Intel Core Duo 1.86ghz
I dont think theyre that good. Theyve amassed a myspace following, but their music isnt as good as say Maximo park, another British rock band.

OP
MartinS
Reaction score
Maximo Park sounds a little too polished for me. I think the Monkey's raw edge is what sets them apart in my book. It'll be interesting to see how they develop in years to come.

The new single, Brianstorm [sic], has the same power as the previous stuff, but is also noticeably softer around the edges - probably due to the recording facilities used.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i sampled a few tracks from their album months ago (they only have one so far right?), and from what i remember thinking at the time i found it almost completely unlistenable. i can't even remember what they sounded like, only that i really wanted to find something to like after hearing lots of good things about them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.