Text Messaging?!

Reaction score
So I'm used to texting my friends from MSN Messenger on my PC... how can I achieve the same with my beautiful Mac?!

I downloaded a Widget from TxtDrop.com, but my friends noted that the messages sometimes take a couple hours to send!!! Plus they put some website in each one of my messages *shakes fist*.

I need something efficient to use for texting my friends from my lappy.
Any thoughts? I'm sure there has to be something...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
When you say text messaging, I assume you mean instant messaging. In which case you can use iChat. It should come preinstalled on your mac and you can use your MSN account on it. The icon in your dock should be a little comic book style talk bubble with a white video camera in it. It's actually very cool and I've abandoned AIM for it.

Edit: I was wrong, you can't use iChat with MSN. Sorry about that.

Reaction score
If you want to text message phones SMS makes a widget that does it. If you want to IM them try out adium you can chat with MSN, Yahoo, AOL, and others.

Reaction score
Download ADIUM it's the best chat program around by far. It enables you to run all of your chat clients in one program (aim, yahoo, msn etc).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
Does iChat not work with an AIM ID? (don't have mac yet)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
Does iChat not work with an AIM ID? (don't have mac yet)

Yes it does. In fact, I use my AIM screen name on iChat every night almost. It is much nicer than the AIM software for Mac, IMHO. It just looks so cool. Your buddy icon is what is displayed instead of your name when you send an IM. On top of that, a little comic style talk bubble displays the words you IM'd, so it looks like your buddy icon is talking. It's really high tech and cool.

Edit: Here's an example. The only difference is that you would have the brushed metal look on your borders and not the solid white look like I have since I'm using ShapeShifter. And, of course, the screen name of the person wouldn't be blotted out at the top of the screen.
Picture1-4.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
to text someone from aim adium or ichat all you have to do is create a new buddy but username will be "+1areacodeandthenthefullnumberwithnospacesorquotes" you can then change the way that your buddy's name shows up and change it to yourfriendsname's phone
-chris

OP
P
Reaction score
I'm looking for texting a PHONE.

For the SMS CallWave, you need to have a Mobile number of your own... the other TxtDrop doesn't require a phone, but it DOES take a long time and it just overall sucks...

Thanks, coach_z, I'm going to try the AIM thing... I wasn't aware of that!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67ghz powerbook G4, 1GB RAM, 100GB HD.
Windows Live messenger for mac.

Sorted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
For the SMS CallWave, you need to have a Mobile number of your own

Which shouldn't really be a problem. SMS takes about 10 sec with that CallWave widget - it's great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.26 Quad, 6GB DDR3, iPhone 4
to text someone from aim adium or ichat all you have to do is create a new buddy but username will be "+1areacodeandthenthefullnumberwithnospacesorquotes" you can then change the way that your buddy's name shows up and change it to yourfriendsname's phone
-chris

ignore my post ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.