can i get apple remote?

Reaction score
Hi,

I noticed my friends mac book has a remote and a very cool program to go with it where he can open itunes etc.

i have a g5 mac os 10.3.9 with no built in bluetooth but was wondering if i could have it set up...

can i use a bluetooth usb dongle i have?

will i need to pay for the program?

thanks alot!

Perry Powling

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The Apple Remote is designed to work with Mac models that have an Infrared (IR) receiver, it does not use Bluetooth. I'm not sure if there is an aftermarket solution to add an IR receiver to a Mac, but I'd imagine that it wouldn't be easy to get working with an Apple Remote, which was designed specifically to be used with an Apple Remote-equipped model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
if your mac did not come with a remote, it probably wont work with a remote. if its front row u want, you can always download front row enabler and then open it using command esc

OP
M
Reaction score
sucsess

thanks for all your help,

i dont think i can have the official remote without 10.4 etc but looking on apple you can get an alternative type that runs with airport but i am buying one on ebay made by griffin for £20! that needs no airport!

cheers again

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.