• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Samsung LCD TV models

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Soon to buy a 24" iMac 2.33GHz 2 (maybe 3)Gigs RAM
Which do you guys have and which of the two would you prefer of the following for xbox 360 gaming, HD sports, and HD/Blue ray movies.

Samsung LCD LNT models or
LNS models

I can't decide on the 46'' or the 52''. I will probably get a 46" and save my moolah for anoth 26 or 32 for the bedroom.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm kind of partial to the Sharp Aquos to be honest. They handle contrast levels a lot better than some of the other LCD TVs, besides the Bravia that I've seen. And you won't have to pay a premium to have a Sony badge on the front of the TV.

Definitely don't go by what you see in the showroom, read the reviews. Most of the TV manufacturers have the levels jacked up beyond what they should be so that they show well on the sales floor under flourescent lighting.

Reaction score
I have the 46" LNS, i play PS3, blueray, HD cable on it, and it looks great!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
I have to agree with that. We have a Samsung 32 inch LCD display. It's amazing, but the whiteness of blacks is unbearable. In the store, black looked like the monitor had been turned off partly.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have to agree with that. We have a Samsung 32 inch LCD display. It's amazing, but the whiteness of blacks is unbearable. In the store, black looked like the monitor had been turned off partly.

That's really the biggest problem with LCDs, much more so than Plasmas. In my opinion, only Sony and Sharp really seem to get it right, although it's still not as good as a CRT or Plasma. Definitely run the THX optimizer from a THX-certified DVD and tweak your settings before you pass a final judgment.

My next door neighbor just happened to buy a Samsung 37" at the same time as I bought my 37" Aquos - the differences are night and day, with the Aquos showing far more detail in dark scenes and much more of the bottom end of grayscale. In my opinion, movies that are very dark are almost unwatchable on his Samsung. You just can't pick out the detail and feel like you need to fumble with the brightness and contrast settings constantly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.