New ram is coming in the mail!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
Hello friends!! So, I finally ordered some more ram for Macky.:) I was alittle hesitant at first because I wasn't sure if I could change it myself. But I decided to go ahead anyway because it didn't seem to hard. Also, with all this new stuff coming out this year (leopard...eventually) I thought I'd be better off with 1GB instead of 512mb. I was wondering if any one knows what kind of screwdriver I need??? Thanks!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Hi Netty!

The first one is all you need if you're only going to change the RAM. You need tiny precision Phillips head screwdrivers. If you ever want to change the hard drive, go for the second set instead. While Apple's instructions don't say it, you need Torx screwdriver tips for the hard drive.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...=screwdriver&kw=screwdriver&parentPage=search
http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...p=&sr=1&origkw=torx&kw=torx&parentPage=search

You don't need to shop at Radio Shack, but their prices are good and you should find what you need at a local RS store.

Hope this helps!

OP
Netty4mac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
Thanks Mathogre!! I doubt I'll ever replace the hard drive. I'm scared just having to change the ram. Hopefully I'll do fine, though. :) There is a Radio Shack down the street, I think I'll stop by later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Cool deal, Annette. More RAM is always better. :) I added RAM to my MBP last year and it was a brreze. I think it's even a little easier on the MacBooks. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
OP
Netty4mac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cool deal, Annette. More RAM is always better. :) I added RAM to my MBP last year and it was a brreze. I think it's even a little easier on the MacBooks. :)

Yeah, I get by okay with 512mb but I do see beach balls often.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Thank you TC99!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Netty. If you ordered a single 1GB stick and your Macbook has two slots, leave what you can in the extra slot. I more ram you have the better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
Yea I've got to order some more RAM for my iMac, I just too Application Hungry. Although I use some Adobe Products so there eating up my RAM like there's no tomorrow.

I also need more Hard Drive Space, 250Gb doesn't seem to last very long any more :(

I doubt you'll have any trouble but good luck anyway!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Netty. If you ordered a single 1GB stick and your Macbook has two slots, leave what you can in the extra slot. I more ram you have the better.

so, i've heard in lots of places that matched ram is better for various reasons, is that a myth or are the benefits so slight, most people wouldn't notice, or is it a real issue? in reality, let's say, is a 1Gb stick pared with a 512Mb stick going to be much faster than 2 x 512Mb? or are there real drawbacks to this setup?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
so, i've heard in lots of places that matched ram is better for various reasons, is that a myth or are the benefits so slight, most people wouldn't notice, or is it a real issue? in reality, let's say, is a 1Gb stick pared with a 512Mb stick going to be much faster than 2 x 512Mb? or are there real drawbacks to this setup?

As far as i know that is valid only for some types of RAM.

OP
Netty4mac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I ordered 2x512mb because I heard that with matched pairs you get better performance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Matched pairs can give applications a performance boost, but as always it depends on the applications. See this barefeats article for an indicator.

There are two interesting things about match pair memory. First, some or most motherboards will downgrade the speed for accessing memory to the slowest memory module. Matched spec'd memory modules don't have that problem.

Second is in how memory is accessed. It can only be accessed at a limited speed and since the processor is much faster, there is something called a wait state. A few clock cycles pass by until another access to memory. To compensate for this wait, motherboards today are designed to recognized matched pairs (specs) and interleave the memory. This allows the processor to access data in one chip, then instead of waiting, go to the second chip to access the rest. To the OS, the two chips look like one as far as reading and writing to it.

Perhaps this is a better explanation. You're stretching my ability to explain this.

I personally think it is better to have more memory rather than matched memory. The reason is more memory gives your system a better chance of not swapping out to disk, which is much much slower than the matched pair speed advantage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mini 1.5GHz Intel Solo 60GB 512MB RAM
You can never have too much RAM. Hope your installation works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
- Macbook -
Good luck Netty, let me know how the installation goes! If it goes smoothly for you I may attempt an upgrade on my MB ;)

OP
Netty4mac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Flic! I will post back once I've done the installation. I should the ram on thursday.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Hey Netty, looks like you worked up the courage to do this. Congrats!! :)

Looks like mathogre is right on the money. I have a set just like the one his first link points to, and it worked beautifully when I upgraded my RAM a couple days ago. Though I have to admit that the small flat one worked better than the Philips because of the angle. Try out the Philips head, but if it doesn't work, then give one of the smaller flat head screwdrivers a try.

Good luck on your upgrade!! I'm sure you won't need it though ;)

OP
Netty4mac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Kash! Yeah, I went to radio shack and picked up the set in the 1st link also. :) I hope all goes well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You should be fine. The hardest part is actually removing the screws (which isn't saying much since that in itself is really easy).

Just remember to push the RAM modules all the way in. Takes a bit of force, so don't be afraid to stuff them in there

OP
Netty4mac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yay!! I got my package from Crucial today!!:) Wow, that was fast for being the "free shipping" option. I ordered friday and it was supposed to get here thursday but I got it today, tuesday!! So, I think Macky's major surgery is scheduled for tonight when I get back from class.

I'm so excited!;)

::::never in my life have I been so excited over ram....whoa I must be turning into a serious geek girl:::::

;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.