usage: chmod [-fv] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] etc... whatsitmean??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook & iMac 21"
usage: chmod [-fv] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] [-a | +a | =a [# [ n]]] mode|entry file ...

I have been attempting to "hack" into my dysfunctional Macbook ever since the trashcan decided to empty anything put into it immediately (after asking me, of course, if I wanted to proceed). I know as much about UNIX and Darwin as a goldfish does, so I have been flying blind and trusting the forum.

What's next? How do I "reinstall" a working trashcan that actually holds documents until I empty them. I have a desktop full of litter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB
Are you asking how to use chmod? I find this quite surprising... if you know enough to think you need to use chmod, I'd have thought you'd have known how to use it!

Try "man chmod".

Good luck with sorting your problem, it's not one I've seen before. I take it you've tried Repair Permissions and the usual quick fixes already?

Also if you've not already, try at the command line:
"chmod 333 /.Trashes"
I say this because I've just read the Mac will delete files immediately if it can't access the directory /.Trashes. I'm also thinking this is why you think you need to use chmod.

If you get a response along the lines of file not found, then try "mkdir /.Trashes" first. This might not work but it shouldn't do anything bad. In a minute somebody who can think clearer than me will probably come along.

OP
MacSinceWayBack
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook & iMac 21"
thermidor, you're as surprised as I am about my thinking I need to use chmod, which I (still) don't know from schmodd.

I am completely out of my element here. I originally posted to the OSX 4 forum with my problem and the very first response directed me to my "terminal" which was already a foreign term for me. I had to look up how to access it.

I tried your "man chmod" suggestion (thank you) and immediately became despondent. "mode operand"? wha'? scrolling down the endless list of commands only made me feel more incompetent and hopeless.

You have no idea how depressing it is to have experts tell you "Good luck sorting our your problem" and "I've never seen anything like this before" (I'm not picking on you, everyone has said this more or less).

Entirely off topic but related in a way, I've just passed the ten year mark of an equally perplexing (to the experts) cancer diagnosis, so suffice it to say, as intimidating as this might be for all the "somebodies who can think clearly," I, the patient, as it were, am not giving up. But I feel I can't go it alone, either so I'll just wait around for the next command protocol.

Thank you for your response. It was encouraging and I feel that I am nearer the solution, at least.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB
Did you try the commands I suggested, and did they make any difference?

First thing I'd do if you haven't done it already is go to Disk Utility (Applications/Utilities), find your drive and do Repair Permissions.

If no luck, then go to Terminal and try the two commands I suggested above.

Next step is post a detailed question on this forum where you'll find a lot of real expert advice. Mac-forums is a great site but it's worth getting an opinion from the Apple forums; there are some very skilled people there.

By the way, I'm not an expert, just a dabbler :)

Don't worry, with the right bit of advice you'll get it sorted in no time.

Reaction score
This is what I learnt after a quick google. It's not my forte but I'm very keen to see your problem sorted!

THe first reason seems to match up with your exact situation but doesn't really sort it out. Maybe someone here could decipher the second reason the Trash has trouble functioning correctly.

The Finder doesn't actually delete files, it moves them to the Trash. The Trash is stored in a directory (.Trashes) at the root level of each volume on the desktop. There are two circumstances under which the Finder would not be able to move a file from AFS into its appropriate Trash:

If it couldn't write to the .Trashes directory, but it exists (if it does not exist, and it cannot create it, the Finder will simply offer to delete the file outright). This could happen if you do not have write permissions in AFS to the root level of the volume or to the .Trashes directory.

If there is a .Trashes directory, but the the file resides on a different AFS volume from the volume mounted on the desktop. For example, mounting the group/networking directory mounts an AFS volume named "group.networking". But if you're deleting a file from the "WWW" subdirectory, those files actually reside in another AFS volume named "group.net.web" (you can control-click on a folder and choose AFS->Volume Information to get this name). It turns out that AFS doesn't allow you to move files across AFS volumes, and so the Finder cannot move your file to the Trash. Unfortunately, the Finder is not smart enough to do what the "mv" command would do, which is to copy the file and then delete it.

Also could you try this for me?

Open Terminal and type this:

Code:
[I]ls -ald .Trash[/I]
Then press enter.

You are now examining the '.Trash' directory itself.

You will see something like this:

Code:
[I]drwx------ 3 melkor staff 58 Jun 25 12:08 .Trash[/I]

Could you please copy/paste the result of examining your Trash Directory here for me to see ....

Your permissions should be read and write , and no permissions for others. This is what I need to ascertain.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.