• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

XBOX 360? worth it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
Ok, so my xbox died. Actually I took it apart to add a few modifications and kinda broke it. I am a halo addict, so without my Halo, i am quite upset. Now onto my question. Is the xbox 360 worth it? I play a few games here and there, but nothing hardcore(I have a job, wife and 2 kids), but I like a little relaxation now and then and my macbook can't give me that kind of quality time. So, should I go for it and get an xbox 360, and if so, the core, or the platinum package? pleas ehelp xbox users.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
It is defiantly worth it. I love my x360, and like you (without the wife and kids) dont play to often, but i feel that i have goten my moneys's worth. Now for the package, i would recomend the platnium one. the HD is a savior for your games, and downloadable content. The included wireless controller is also alot better then the wired, and you get the component for HD.

You could also get the Elite x360 which has the 120gb HD and HDMI

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I play my Xbox360 occasionally, but I've recently discovered a new feature that will make me use my 360 far more often: Media Center.

I installed Vista on my PC and can now use the Media Center features on my Xbox360, which are amazing. It is so smooth and slick looking, and very intuitive to use.

There are some really good games for the 360. Plus, if you want to play Halo 3, you're gonna have to get the 360. So makes sense to "upgrade"

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
HAHA, I saw the elite on the website, gonna have to pass on that one, I have a wife and would like to keep her. OK, I do believe I am gonna have to go for the 360 platinum, I like the hard-drive, and media center, and wireless is nice with a 5yr old running around the house. Question though, do I need the remote like I do with the regular xbox to play dvds or does the 360 play dvds out of the box, no accessories needed? Also, xbox live, is there a trial run out of the box? I see that I get silver membership free, but from what I read, silver means no online halo, that takes gold.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
The platnium edition comes with a 12 mnth gold subscription i believe. and yes, you can play dvds strait out of the box, no dvd remote needed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I play my Xbox360 occasionally, but I've recently discovered a new feature that will make me use my 360 far more often: Media Center.

I installed Vista on my PC and can now use the Media Center features on my Xbox360, which are amazing. It is so smooth and slick looking, and very intuitive to use.

There are some really good games for the 360. Plus, if you want to play Halo 3, you're gonna have to get the 360. So makes sense to "upgrade"

you should get Connect360.. It's software that adds a preference pane to the System Pref's that allows you to stream media from you Mac to the x360. I have it and it's amazing.

The Xbox 360 is 100% worth the money.. it completely replaced my $2500 gaming PC.

Xbox Live Gold is needed for multiplayer gaming and access to the Live Marketplace (where you can download video content, system themes, gamer pics, etc).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
Although Connect360 is good if you have a PC sitting idle or can be turned into a Media Center PC even eithout Tuner's it will be more beneficial than what Connect360 does.

You can stream DivX and Xvid plus numerous other Codec's to your Xbox 360 to watch Video's and it's alot more "eye friendly". I love my Mac but Vista justs eats the ground on that one.

As for a Xbox 360, get it. You'll love it, possibly the best purchase you'll make. I defiantly wouldn't go with Elite though to much money for something you won't/don't need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
The Xbox 360 doesn't suppoer avi files.. the only kind I've ever had work properly (with both Media Center and Connect360 is wmv's, which is stupid.. Most of my media is in avi)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
The Xbox 360 doesn't suppoer avi files.. the only kind I've ever had work properly (with both Media Center and Connect360 is wmv's, which is stupid.. Most of my media is in avi)

YEa that's true but there is an Application in which you can install on you Windows Media Center PC which is called Transcode360 which coverts in real time other Media Formats so it can be played on the Xbox 360.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Bah! I think M$ Should just create a system patch that allows you to play other forms of media tha wmv. I can't count how many times I've read on the Internet about how people want something like that.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great, you guys are awesome. I am headed out this morning to get the 360 platinum. My wife has a vista notebook, so i guess i will use hers for the media center, though I am going to look into that 360 connect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Don't forget to get an Xbox Live Gold membership! Then you can add me, my gamertag is punkr0x0r.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
When I got my Premium system, it came with a 1 month free Gold membership. I didn't use it much, so I let my account downgrade to Silver. My brother, on the other hand, is always on the 360, so he just renewed his membership for another 13 months.

The reason I'm using my PC instead of my Mac is because all of my media files are on the PC. It's hard to stuff that much stuff onto the "tiny" 120GB on my Macbook, but rather easy with the 3/4 of a terabyte I have on my PC. Though I'll be looking into adding a 500 or 750GB hard drive so that I can rip my DVD collection, which would be much easier than pulling out the actual DVDs (not to mention easier to sort through).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
This will probably be a dumb question, but I don't play console games any more. Is there a way to play XBox 360 with a keyboard/mouse? I only ask in the off-chance since it is made by MS.

The reason I don't play console games is that back in the day when I started playing multiplayer games on my PC before it was available on consoles, I got used to the feel and ease of playing with a keyboard and mouse. When I try to play console games with controllers now, I can't even come close to my ability of playing on a computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
You can use a USB keyboard on the 360.. In fact, I use it when I'm on Live to send messages quickly. I use my Apple keyboard that came with my G4 PowerMac. I don't think you can use a mouse, I've never tried, as there is no cursor.. You could always purchase the "media" remote with it.

Another cool thing you can do is use an external FAT32 hard drive to put music, movies, and pics onto, and play/view them from that as well.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, Just got back from the store with my 360, going to set it up tonight. It came with amped and a 1 month gold membership. I am an online halo player, so I will probably end up getting gold membership for a year after my month trial wears out. Anyway, thanks again everyone for your help. I appreciate it. I am taking the h-d out of an old desktop I have sitting in the garage and am going to set it up as an external usb drive for the xbox. I imaging the included 20gb h-d will fill up rather quickly with updates and all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.